Many Mets players think that Ryan Braun’s appeal was a joke

Feb 24, 2012, 3:13 PM EST

Image (1) Mets%20Logo.png for post 3903

Andy Martino of the Daily News is in Mets camp, and overheard a bunch of Mets players talking about the Ryan Braun news today.  The peanut gallery is not impressed:

“Ryan Braun is out there saying this shows he is innocent,” one Met said. “Does that mean O.J. Simpson is innocent, too?” … “Oh, wow,” a Mets player said on Friday, after hearing of Braun’s chain-of-custody explanation. “That was his defense? Now every positive test is going to be challenged. That could be a mess.”

Added a third player: “What a joke.”

Another Met said: “Seems like he’s guilty.”

I’m guessing a memo is gonna be released by the MLBPA telling its membership to hold the union line on this sort of thing, but really, people are gonna be people.

I think the anonyMets should step up their game, however.  They’re not coming anywhere close to the Braun invective we’ve seen in the HBT comments these past two days.  You guys really know how to bring it.  I mean, a few more pointed comments and, yes, I will finally admit that I’m on Braun’s payroll, as so many of you have actually claimed!

1. bearsandjazz - Feb 24, 2012 at 5:10 PM

Craig, I only get on Profootballtalk and Probasketballtalk, this is my first visit to Hardball Talk, but the few articles I’ve read I can only conclude that you are on his payroll. It sounds like you’re playing reach around with Braun and don’t want to soil his name. Nothing like a writer distorting the facts. He got off on a technicality, but the proof is right there. The court of public opinion will have mixed results but the fact of the matter is his Urine didn’t pass the test, whether it was handled according to protocol is the question not the results, that what’s sad. The Cowards of the world look for loopholes to get away with wrong doing……Cowards Cheat, Cheaters lie and this is a PERFECT example of that.

• cur68 - Feb 24, 2012 at 6:49 PM

I think all credibility was lost at the words “Profootballtalk”. One thing I’ve learned from that site is that the most simplistic argument with homophobic slurs wins the day. Good going there, bears. You win the interwebs, PFT edition. ‘Round here, though, a consideration of the facts, understanding the relevance of the process and not being a tool tends to have more weight. If you plan to join us here on HBT regular like, I suspect you’ll soon have your own little following of hecklers, detractors and people who’ll plain call you an asshole. Good luck with that.

• bearsandjazz - Feb 24, 2012 at 8:35 PM

You Are a perfect example of and Idiot who starts by mentioning something irrelevant to the conversation…..your attempt at humor with the “credibility” and “profotballtalk” comments was actually pretty lame but I’m sure it made you feel good. You can classify people by what website they look at but the fact is on either website there are idiots, like yourself, who feel their opinions matter to everyone. Problem is you are the type that doesn’t even debate me about why I said. You spend a paragraph finding a way to insult me without even knowing me and not even mention the actuall topic. You judge people on profotballtalk but you did exacty what they do….except you tried to sound like some philosophical genius who’s the self assumed HBT spokesman. I guess it’s the same here as all the websites…. Small Minded idiots like you would rather talk about anything other than sports and the topic at hand.

• cur68 - Feb 24, 2012 at 10:52 PM

Possibly it was this sentence as well which saw me regard you as little more than a histrionic loon: “It sounds like you’re playing reach around with Braun”. Was there some sort of legitimate point you want to make with that? I admit it: the moment I read that, I immediately branded you a loser with a small mind, a stupid face, and the sense of humor of an 13 year old who’s left unsupervised in front of a computer far too often. What’s your point again?

2. tn16 - Feb 24, 2012 at 5:34 PM

Many MLB players think the Mets are a Joke

3. jwbiii - Feb 24, 2012 at 5:39 PM

This is particularly amusing since the Mets organization leads the league in drug suspensions.

• jwbiii - Feb 24, 2012 at 6:35 PM

Count ‘em yourself, asshole.

• jwbiii - Feb 24, 2012 at 6:36 PM

4. koufaxmitzvah - Feb 24, 2012 at 7:42 PM

OJ Simpson, huh? Tainted pee versus two nearly decapitated people. Thank you, pop culture.

5. rubbernilly - Feb 24, 2012 at 8:27 PM

“invective”

I do not think that word means what you think it means.

6. philliesphan - Feb 26, 2012 at 1:47 AM

What is even funnier will be seeing the Mutts finish in the basement again this year. Glad they are yucking it up over Braun, we will be laughing harder watching this pitifull team play this year. Maybe they should worry about playing baseball instead.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (3236)
  2. J. Kang (3093)
  3. C. McGehee (2807)
  4. W. Middlebrooks (2784)
  5. J. Upton (2769)