Mike Minor: start me in the majors or trade me

Feb 24, 2012, 10:30 AM EDT

Minor_Mike

Braves starter Mike Minor is likely to be the Braves’ fifth starter. But yesterday he made it clear that, if there’s any doubt about that, he’d just as soon be traded:

“Overall, it’s not really – it’s about making the team, but if … I can control my third pitch and have a decent fourth pitch, then there’s no reason I shouldn’t pitch in the big leagues somewhere. If they don’t have room for me here, then there’s no reason they shouldn’t trade me or just do something with me.”

He sort of backed off that later, saying that the Braves should trade him if he hasn’t earned his spot in the rotation.  Which is sort of the same, but definitely different in tone.  His original comments make it seem like he thinks he’s already earned it and deserves to start before Julio Teheran and Randall Delgado.  And he’s probably right about that.

Thing is, it’s all probably moot.  With the 1-2-3 in that rotation being Tim Hudson, Jair Jurrjens and Tommy Hanson — all three either injury risks, injury bouncebacks and/or trade candidates — Minor, Teheran and Delgado will all likely have a place in that rotation alongside Brandon Beachy and one of the remaining 1-2-3 this time next year. If not sooner.

1. nolanwiffle - Feb 24, 2012 at 11:07 AM

Lee Majors: No minor roles….if you don’t count The Fall Guy.

2. 78mu - Feb 24, 2012 at 11:49 AM

Trade him to the Phillies and let’s see him demand to start.

• phillyphreak - Feb 24, 2012 at 12:50 PM

I’d be happy for the Phillies to have him.

3. dwrek5 - Feb 24, 2012 at 11:55 AM

Buy a uniform that fits first, then we can talk about you starting.

• bravojawja - Feb 24, 2012 at 12:00 PM

OK, this made me actually LOL.

• phillyphreak - Feb 24, 2012 at 12:50 PM

Well, they had to put the extra material from Uggla’s uniform somewhere…..

4. El Bravo - Feb 24, 2012 at 12:52 PM

Pitch well Mike and they will play you. That simple. Stop talking and pitch. Once you pitch well this Spring, you are welcome to resume talking.

5. foreverchipper10 - Feb 24, 2012 at 5:27 PM

OK, seriously, why can I not see any comments….

This bothers me. By all rights Minor should be the 5th starter over Teheran and Delgado. In my mind though, I have been entertaining the idea of a trade of Minor and another prospect for David Wright to succeed Chipper if the Mets plan on trading him. That…..would put a smile on my face to say the least. :)

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet