Not sure how to break this to you, but Grady Sizemore will not be able to go on Opening Day

Feb 24, 2012, 4:00 PM EDT

I know. I’m just as shocked as you are. But the cold hard truth is staring us right in the face:

Someone hold me. I don’t know what to expect in this harsh and capricious world anymore.

1. cur68 - Feb 24, 2012 at 4:07 PM

I can’t hold you: I could strain my back.

2. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Feb 24, 2012 at 4:09 PM

I don’t understand…how did this happen so soon? I swear, there are some guys that can make themselves a sandwich and end up losing a limb.

• jwbiii - Feb 24, 2012 at 6:30 PM

Actually, I owe my short bartending career to exactly that.

• anxovies - Feb 26, 2012 at 10:22 AM

Wha? Tell me it wasn’t cutting up limes on your lap.

3. spytdi - Feb 24, 2012 at 4:18 PM

Brady Anderson fell off of a cliff (metaphorically) once the juice stopped flowing.

• Lukehart80 - Feb 24, 2012 at 4:21 PM

It’s a shame we’re only allowed to give comments one thumb down.

4. glink123 - Feb 24, 2012 at 4:21 PM

who is Grady Sizemore? lmfao.

5. jason1214 - Feb 24, 2012 at 4:53 PM

wow I’m so shocked
    Memo to Indians, nice investment!

6. El Bravo - Feb 24, 2012 at 5:11 PM

Who’s tougher? Grady Sizemore or Rich Harden? Answer: Mark Prior

7. bigtrav425 - Feb 24, 2012 at 8:29 PM

as a clevelander and tribe fan im not susre im even mad still at this move or this happeneing.im more lmao @ the dolans and tribes front office for looking like jackass’s once again for this horrible signing. they are beyond enamored with grady for sme reason…oh well not tlike they were going to do much this yr anyways unless everything went perfect like the beg. of last season

• Lukehart80 - Feb 24, 2012 at 8:52 PM

You point out that the team could only compete this season if “everything went perfect,” but also criticize the front office for re-signing someone who was one of the five best players in baseball in 2008. Isn’t that the kind of relatively small-cost risk a team like the Indians should be taking?

• jason1214 - Feb 24, 2012 at 9:17 PM

Luke the key to that statement is 2008, that was 4 long years, and 2 or 3 knee surgeries ago……

• Lukehart80 - Feb 24, 2012 at 10:08 PM

Point taken. But while I know his staying healthy wasn’t/isn’t likely, and even if healthy, the 2005-2008 version of Sizemore isn’t coming back, I don’t think there were many options for a 1-year, $5M contract that provided more potential reward. They rolled the dice, it doesn’t look likely to pay off at the moment. I don’t think that makes it a colossal blunder.

8. clevelandrocks1 - Feb 24, 2012 at 11:08 PM

I read hbt every day and I rarely see an Indians story. Well I finally got one. Great. I guess that’ll be Cleveland’s highlight for the year. I’m so pissed right now!

9. chiadam - Feb 25, 2012 at 8:58 AM

Dear Grady,

Even I think you’re hurt too often.

Your pal,