Ryan Braun press conference notes and quotes

Feb 24, 2012, 1:22 PM EDT

braun getty Getty Images

Some notes and quotes from Ryan Braun‘s press conference this afternoon:

• He thanked fans who “withheld judgements as I respected the confidentially of this case.”

• “I tried to respect this process even though the confidentially was breached early on.”

• “If I had done this intentionally or unintentionally I’d have been the first one to admit it. I truly believe this substance never entered my body.”

• “It hasn’t been easy. Lots of times I wanted to come out and tell the entire story, attack everybody like I’ve been attacked. My name was dragged through the mud. But at the end of the day I recognized what was best for the game of baseball.”

• “I truly believe that everything in life happens for a reason and I learned a long time ago to stop questioning what goes on in life. I’ve yet to understand the reason for this, but I don’t question that.”

• “Today is for anyone who has been wrongly accused and everyone who stood up for what’s right. It’s about future players and the game of baseball.”

• “Never been a personal medical issue, never had an STD. Many of the erroneous stories reported by the network continue to live on, which is disappointing.”

• “I will continue to take the high road. We won because the truth was on my side. I was a victim of a process that completely broke down and failed as it was applied to me in this case. Today’s about making sure this never happens to anyone else who plays this game.”

• “The system as it was applied to me in this case was fatally flawed.”

• Braun revealed that he was first made aware of test result on October 19, which was during the playoffs.

• “At the end of the day, I know the truth. My friends, family, teammates, and the Brewers organization know the truth.”

• “We spoke to biochemists and scients, and asked them how difficult it would be for someone to taint the sample. They said, if they were motivated, it would be extremely easy.”

• “Ultimately, as I sit here today, the system worked because I was innocent and I was able to prove my innocence.”

• Braun is “considering all my legal options.”

145 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. lovinthatsomanyhateonnd - Feb 24, 2012 at 3:13 PM

what a crock…what, so theres some rogue collector thats a fan of the cubbies or something that spiked his urine??? PUHLEAASE!! The lab wouldnt have tested it had the seal been broken first of all. Second, his back up test ALSO showed the same levels of testosterone, so he wasnt clean. Braun needs to just be thankful he got away with it, shut up, and go play ball…

2. plmathfoto - Feb 24, 2012 at 3:24 PM

So…lessee…it’s ok for Braun to start a conspiracy theory of someone tainting his specimen, but not ok for someone to suspect Selig of getting his guy free? Any thought to them purposely screwing up the procedure so mlb can vote suspend, players association votes no and arbitrator votes no due to process not being right, therefore mlb looks like they’re adhering to their rules but they didn’t want Selig’s boy suspended?

• plmathfoto - Feb 24, 2012 at 3:26 PM

OMG just went to mlb.com, headline: “Braun proud of integrity”. Can’t top that one.

3. johnnyru131 - Feb 24, 2012 at 3:32 PM

I can drink and drive, get in an accident and leave the scene and the only ticket I’ll get is for leaving the scene. They won’t be able to prove I was drunk but that doesn’t mean I’m innocent. There are so many ways around anything in life. Braun is not guilty because ONE arbitrator ruled in his favor. If it was I different arbitrator maybe that guy finds Braun guilty. Either way I believe he’s guilty and never tried replicating the results to show it was herpe Meds that caused high levels.

4. phillysoulfan - Feb 24, 2012 at 3:36 PM

After reading a few comments here, I feel obliged to tell all the amateur lawyers (and probably some professional lawyers too) that MLB didn’t accuse him of anything. MLB flat out said you did this and here is your penalty. Braun then went through the appeal let process. At this point, the burden of proof is on Braun, not MLB. He’s now the one making the accusation.

For those that think his sample was tampered with…the sample was tripled sealed and no one at the drug lab said anything about the seal being broken, can you explain how the carrier could have tampered with his urine if the seal was not broken?

5. losangelasbasketball - Feb 24, 2012 at 4:00 PM

Who cares…

6. mute617 - Feb 24, 2012 at 4:05 PM

All the recorded documentation how his arm strength speed etc. Didn’t change, yet people still say he juiced. There are far too many cynics & idiots in America today

• spudatx - Feb 24, 2012 at 4:08 PM

Does any of that mean anything anymore if evidence of regular negative drug testing during the time those improvements were recorded?

7. spudatx - Feb 24, 2012 at 4:05 PM

Even if Braun goes on to win more MVP awards, be an outstanding citizen, be friendly to fans and media alike, and pass (without dispute) every drug test MLB throws at him, can he ever get enough votes to make it to Cooperstown after this?

8. jhastrello - Feb 24, 2012 at 4:05 PM

So now we have moved from a suspension based upon a very, very positive test – to the player now accusing (albeit in a back handed fashion) that his test sample has been tampered with. The offer of DNA testing was a no-brainer by his attorney. There is no way that MLB is going to even attempt to walk down that path, for it certainly will then put them in direct conflict with the agreed upon process with the players union. Smart move on the defensive side – as it makes it look like MLB is unsure of it’s results.

Methinks that the gentleman protests a bit too much.

9. cjh88 - Feb 24, 2012 at 4:06 PM

I don’t care about PED use, I don’t care about Ryan Braun. I don’t care if Ryan Braun used PEDs.

I do care that being keep saying that his testosterone to epitestosterone was “insanely high” or, better yet, “the highest ever!!!”

Floyd Landis tested at 11:1 when he got caught. Temporary ratios as high as 80:1 have been measured in lab testing. http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/david_epstein/12/12/ryan.braun.test/index.html

Defend him or hate him, I don’t care, but don’t claim that his test HAD to have been tainted because of the level it was at.

10. jjpileggi - Feb 24, 2012 at 4:41 PM

If Bud Selig has any class or guts, he will call a press conference and say, “A compromised test is NO test, and therefore, everyone should consider Braun exonerated.” But he won’t. Selig can not utter a sentence about baseball which does not have many, many “I’s” and “me’s”, unless of course he is dodging a bullet. The Mitchell Report “convicted” several players via hearsay or innuendo. The post-strike resurgence of baseball was in so-small-way powered by the steroid era. Everyone knew that players did not hit the ball 50 feet further overnight naturally. Everyone turned a blind eye. Only when the outcry was deafening did Selig bring in Mitchell and essentially slander players. Not that many of the names were beyond suspicion, but Selig named names without true evidence and proclaimed himself a dogged pursuer of the truth. He owes a loud exoneration of Braun.

11. davego6 - Feb 24, 2012 at 5:47 PM

So, if he hits 30+/- home runs this season, I’ll give him the benefit of my doubt, but if he only hits 15 or so, the gig is up!

12. johnnyb1976 - Feb 24, 2012 at 6:25 PM

Everyone will know if he did or he didn’t if his numbers take a nosedive like so many others that have used.. If he puts the same numbers up this season and tests clean I’ll be the first one to go to his twitter account and apologize to him.

13. offseasonblues - Feb 24, 2012 at 6:28 PM

I’ve probably read only half of the comments on this subject in the various threads, so please forgive me if this has been said.

My comment has to do with the statements that Braun got off on a technicality. If there was a deviation from agreed upon procedure, then there is reasonable doubt, and no suspension. So yes, he did get off on a technicality.

But a technicality isn’t something that should be dissed as Craig did by saying BS! in his blog entry title. It’s not BS, it’s a fact; that’s how he got off. The question is whether that’s the correct conclusion. If it is, the system worked, no bs about it. If it’s not, then the system didn’t work and MLB and the MLBPA need to fix it.

But the circumstantial evidence known to fans is incriminating, and those fans are entitled to conclude Braun is guilty even if he can’t be held accountable. I’m not going to second guess without more information, but based on what I’ve read, I find it more believable that he used a banned substance than the reverse.

14. bmorethansteel - Feb 25, 2012 at 12:43 PM

Don’t care. Next

15. juniorak715 - Feb 26, 2012 at 1:57 AM

Fuck Ryan Braun

16. maverick8948 - Feb 26, 2012 at 1:10 PM

I’m so sick of this “technicality” BS. This is not the clean answer everyone wanted, but it is far from a technicality. A technicality is “The sample should be collected in a square container with a red lid” but instead it was put in a round container with a blue lid.

This is a failure of process. From what I’ve heard from people who deal with sample for studies of all kinds say that if the same is not tested as soon as possible from collection, and it is not stored properly, the results cannot be considered accurate. The failure to follow the procedure caused a high likelihood the test results are inaccurate, therefore it cannot be relied upon. Anything else is irrelevant. If these processes weren’t so important, they wouldn’t be included in the rules.

• zacksdad - Feb 6, 2013 at 12:13 PM

The problem is that the collector followed the process that was established by MLB. This was done many times and no one complained. It was not until someone failed the test did they look for a loophole. As you state:

“The failure to follow the procedure caused a high likelihood the test results are inaccurate, therefore it cannot be relied upon.”

How does the process followed cause man made testosterone to magically appear in his urine.

The cop in the OJ case may have been racist, but this did not allow him to plant blood at the crime scene and OJ’s car without a chemical in it this use when drawing blood. Yes I know the murdering of two people is not the same as cheating in baseball. But both got off on technicalities, but it does not make either innocent.

I also put Ryan on a smaller scale of Lance Armstrong. Lance did everything in his power to discredit the people that spoke against him or accused him. Ryan and his lawyer did the same thing to the tester. This tester did nothing but follow current protocol and they tried to disparage his reputation.

So as far as Ryan, I might have let him off for the technicality but how he did I will not accept him a a good person.

Managers get easier path to Cooperstown
  1. H. Street (3497)