Ryan Madson sticking with agent Scott Boras despite disappointing contract

Feb 24, 2012, 12:53 PM EST

Boras thinking

Scott Boras was able to land Prince Fielder a massive contract, but two of his other clients, Ryan Madson and Edwin Jackson, ended up settling for one-year deals well below what they were expecting when the offseason began.

Jerry Crasnick of ESPN.com writes that “there’s a lot of buzz in baseball circles that Madson might be on the verge of shopping for a new agent in the aftermath of a bad negotiating experience this offseason.”

Madson, however, said today that he’s sticking with Boras:

I’m still with Scott and I plan on being with Scott for the foreseeable future. Everything is the same. That’s the way the business part of the game works. You can hear one story from one person and that’s the truth, then a different story from somebody else and that could be true. It’s a group of people making decisions, and you’re not going to pin it down unless you get the whole group together.

Boras claimed that the Phillies did Madson wrong by pulling what he believed was a four-year, $44 million offer made early in the offseason, but general manager Ruben Amaro Jr. insists it never reached the acceptance stage. Philadelphia then signed Jonathan Papelbon for $50 million and Madson settled for a one-year, $8.5 million deal from the Reds.

It’s probably misleading to say that cost him $35 million, because if healthy Madson will be able to land another sizable deal next offseason, but no one could blame him for being disappointed with how things went. And if Boras is going to be lavished with praise for the Fielder signing, the flipside should be true when it comes to Madson and Jackson.

1. cur68 - Feb 24, 2012 at 1:15 PM

I could give a crap about Madson’s contract. His one year contract is more money than I’ll see in a lifetime unless it turns out that I’m related to a Vanderbilt (and if I am, I’m outahere peons!), so whatever: Madson’ll be fine. What I did want to comment on was the excellent “Evil Boras” picture. One of my faves. Every time I see it I am left in no doubt that this is “The Brain” from Pinky & The Brain. He’s plotting to take over the world! He just needs a henchman and he’s all set.

• lanflfan - Feb 24, 2012 at 1:42 PM

That photo could be captioned: “Pinky, are you pondering what I’m pondering?”

One of my favorite Pinky responses was: “If Jimmy cracks corn and no ones care, why does he continue to do?”

2. navel gazing - Feb 24, 2012 at 1:36 PM

I thought Jon Heyman was his henchman….

3. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Feb 24, 2012 at 1:42 PM

“I ain’t Mad, Son!” Madson said.

4. Utley's Hair - Feb 24, 2012 at 4:48 PM

The term “foreseeable” can be as short term or long term as the person in question defines it.

For MadDog’s sake, I hope he doesn’t get hurt this year and I hope he can get better terms next year. The jury’s out on the degree to which Boras screwed him.

5. calichowd - Feb 24, 2012 at 6:57 PM

Go out and have a great year. A certain AL East team has 40 plus year old closer who probably is gone after 2012.

• Utley's Hair - Feb 25, 2012 at 10:24 AM

Yankee fans would make his wife feel so much better than Phightins Phans.

6. micker716 - Feb 24, 2012 at 8:55 PM

Once you sign your soul over to Satan, there’s no going back.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (3301)
  2. J. Kang (3129)
  3. C. McGehee (2844)
  4. J. Upton (2829)
  5. W. Middlebrooks (2822)
  1. D. Ross (2639)