Feb 24, 2012, 10:47 AM EST
Yesterday afternoon Bill Ladson of MLB.com reported that Ryan Zimmerman and the Nationals were “close to a resolution” with his long-term contract talks, but apparently that didn’t necessarily mean they were close to a resolution that ends in an extension being signed.
Ladson now reports that Zimmerman has set a Saturday deadline for negotiations, telling the Nationals he’ll cease discussing the contract until next offseason. At that point he’ll be just one year away from free agency, so locking him up long term could be tricky and, if he has a good, healthy season, more expensive.
General manager Mike Rizzo told Ladson that he’d be perfectly fine continuing to negotiate throughout spring training, but Zimmerman made it pretty clear that the self-imposed deadline is for real. Rizzo has met several times with Zimmerman’s agent recently, but the Nationals may be hesitant to commit more than $100 million to a 27-year-old third baseman who’s missed 142 games with injuries during the past four seasons, including 61 games last year.
Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post writes that Zimmerman insisting on a no-trade clause could also be a major stumbling block, so the two sides seemingly have a lot of distance to cover in what is now a very short window.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (134)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)