Feb 24, 2012, 10:47 AM EST
Yesterday afternoon Bill Ladson of MLB.com reported that Ryan Zimmerman and the Nationals were “close to a resolution” with his long-term contract talks, but apparently that didn’t necessarily mean they were close to a resolution that ends in an extension being signed.
Ladson now reports that Zimmerman has set a Saturday deadline for negotiations, telling the Nationals he’ll cease discussing the contract until next offseason. At that point he’ll be just one year away from free agency, so locking him up long term could be tricky and, if he has a good, healthy season, more expensive.
General manager Mike Rizzo told Ladson that he’d be perfectly fine continuing to negotiate throughout spring training, but Zimmerman made it pretty clear that the self-imposed deadline is for real. Rizzo has met several times with Zimmerman’s agent recently, but the Nationals may be hesitant to commit more than $100 million to a 27-year-old third baseman who’s missed 142 games with injuries during the past four seasons, including 61 games last year.
Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post writes that Zimmerman insisting on a no-trade clause could also be a major stumbling block, so the two sides seemingly have a lot of distance to cover in what is now a very short window.
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 34
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical 133
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 285
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 27
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (285)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)