Feb 24, 2012, 10:47 AM EDT
Yesterday afternoon Bill Ladson of MLB.com reported that Ryan Zimmerman and the Nationals were “close to a resolution” with his long-term contract talks, but apparently that didn’t necessarily mean they were close to a resolution that ends in an extension being signed.
Ladson now reports that Zimmerman has set a Saturday deadline for negotiations, telling the Nationals he’ll cease discussing the contract until next offseason. At that point he’ll be just one year away from free agency, so locking him up long term could be tricky and, if he has a good, healthy season, more expensive.
General manager Mike Rizzo told Ladson that he’d be perfectly fine continuing to negotiate throughout spring training, but Zimmerman made it pretty clear that the self-imposed deadline is for real. Rizzo has met several times with Zimmerman’s agent recently, but the Nationals may be hesitant to commit more than $100 million to a 27-year-old third baseman who’s missed 142 games with injuries during the past four seasons, including 61 games last year.
Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post writes that Zimmerman insisting on a no-trade clause could also be a major stumbling block, so the two sides seemingly have a lot of distance to cover in what is now a very short window.
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 0
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 4
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 9
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 11
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 7
- What’s in a name? “Big Game” James did not come up big for Kansas City 22
- World Series Reset: The Royals look to pick themselves up off the mat 8
- Royals’ World Series hopes in Yordano Ventura’s hands 7
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (121)
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (95)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)