Feb 24, 2012, 10:47 AM EST
Yesterday afternoon Bill Ladson of MLB.com reported that Ryan Zimmerman and the Nationals were “close to a resolution” with his long-term contract talks, but apparently that didn’t necessarily mean they were close to a resolution that ends in an extension being signed.
Ladson now reports that Zimmerman has set a Saturday deadline for negotiations, telling the Nationals he’ll cease discussing the contract until next offseason. At that point he’ll be just one year away from free agency, so locking him up long term could be tricky and, if he has a good, healthy season, more expensive.
General manager Mike Rizzo told Ladson that he’d be perfectly fine continuing to negotiate throughout spring training, but Zimmerman made it pretty clear that the self-imposed deadline is for real. Rizzo has met several times with Zimmerman’s agent recently, but the Nationals may be hesitant to commit more than $100 million to a 27-year-old third baseman who’s missed 142 games with injuries during the past four seasons, including 61 games last year.
Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post writes that Zimmerman insisting on a no-trade clause could also be a major stumbling block, so the two sides seemingly have a lot of distance to cover in what is now a very short window.
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 42
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 37
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 166
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (166)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)