Feb 24, 2012, 10:47 AM EDT
Yesterday afternoon Bill Ladson of MLB.com reported that Ryan Zimmerman and the Nationals were “close to a resolution” with his long-term contract talks, but apparently that didn’t necessarily mean they were close to a resolution that ends in an extension being signed.
Ladson now reports that Zimmerman has set a Saturday deadline for negotiations, telling the Nationals he’ll cease discussing the contract until next offseason. At that point he’ll be just one year away from free agency, so locking him up long term could be tricky and, if he has a good, healthy season, more expensive.
General manager Mike Rizzo told Ladson that he’d be perfectly fine continuing to negotiate throughout spring training, but Zimmerman made it pretty clear that the self-imposed deadline is for real. Rizzo has met several times with Zimmerman’s agent recently, but the Nationals may be hesitant to commit more than $100 million to a 27-year-old third baseman who’s missed 142 games with injuries during the past four seasons, including 61 games last year.
Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post writes that Zimmerman insisting on a no-trade clause could also be a major stumbling block, so the two sides seemingly have a lot of distance to cover in what is now a very short window.
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 33
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 53
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 78
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 60
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)