Welcome to the hot corner: Mark Trumbo takes a ground ball off the face

Feb 24, 2012, 3:45 PM EDT

Trumbo_Mark

How is Mark Trumbo‘s transition to third base going after never playing the position before in the majors or minors?

It’s off to a rough start, says Mark Saxon of ESPN Los Angeles:

He took a ground ball off the nose and had to cut short his workout Friday morning. The ball came off the fungo bat of coach Rob Picciolo and hit the lip of the infield grass, according to Jorge Cantu, who was standing nearby. A trainer applied a towel to Trumbo’s nose and he was carted off to the Angels spring-training clubhouse, where he lay on the trainer’s table with gauze stuffed in his nostrils.

Of course, I’m sure Adrian Beltre would gladly tell Trumbo that there are worse places off which to take a ground ball.

1. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Feb 24, 2012 at 3:49 PM

He nose he’s in trumbo now, after that grounder!

• El Bravo - Feb 24, 2012 at 5:14 PM

That’s not punny.

• netbob - Feb 24, 2012 at 7:22 PM

Heh heh. Dang it hurts to have fluids come out of the nose when laughing.

2. cur68 - Feb 24, 2012 at 4:00 PM

Man its all urine here on RBT (Ryan Braun Talk) today, I’m actually kinda happy to see some other bodily fluid & baseball news come up. Pity it had to be spilled Trumbo blood. Ouch. A ball in the schnoz hurts. I hope he’ll be ok. He’ll have raccoon eyes and a bent nose, though. Maybe he knows Beltran and can get it all fixed up on Carlos’s dime? Si or no, Carlos?

3. thelucasjj - Feb 24, 2012 at 4:32 PM

I just listened to a back episode of the Baseball Prospecutus podcast from November 2010 where they talked about Trumbo playing two games at third in the Winter Leagues and it wasn’t pretty. Ended up with a .500 fielding percentage.

4. hittfamily - Feb 24, 2012 at 4:33 PM

So Beltre had bleeding in his testicle, but played another 5 innings. Trumbo gets carted off the field because of a bloody nose. I can honestly say I would not have reacted the same way to either instance.

5. scatterbrian - Feb 24, 2012 at 4:36 PM

Damn, that experiment was quick.

6. uyf1950 - Feb 24, 2012 at 4:54 PM

I could see the Angels playing musical chairs with players playing different positions this season.

7. jason1214 - Feb 24, 2012 at 4:56 PM

Memo to Angels coaches,
    Please tell Albert you are moving him to 3rd, so that Trumbo doesn’t embarass himself at 3rd, hopefully he can handle 1st base, and then you can keep Morales healthy at DH. Then again it all makes WAY TOO MUCH SENSE, so it won’t happen.

8. Gamera the Brave - Feb 24, 2012 at 4:56 PM

Played a slowpitch game years ago, on Cinco de Mayo. Drank many Margaritas, then the coach stuck me at third, which I had never played before. The batters looked like they were about 25 feet away. First guy hit a sharp 1-hopper, got me with glancing blow to the nuts…
    Never played there again. Which was fine with me…

9. skipperxc - Feb 24, 2012 at 6:09 PM

I know that feeling — my favorite positions in baseball were third base and catcher, and I was a goalkeeper on my intramural indoor soccer team. Apparently I just hate my body.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (2900)