Feb 25, 2012, 8:57 AM EDT
Chris Sale logged 71 innings out of the White Sox bullpen in 2011 and hasn’t started a game since May of 2010 at Florida Gulf Coast University, but that hasn’t stopped him from setting the bar pretty high for his first season in the starting rotation.
According to Chuck Garfien of CSNChicago.com, Sale said yesterday that he wants to pitch 200 innings this season.
“It’s not a matter of whether I think I can. I want to,” said Sale. “That’s something that I want to push for because that’s what this team needs. I don’t really like to set goals or live up to expectations and stuff because I tried doing that last year and I failed miserably.”
It’s nice to have goals and all, but the chances of this actually happening are just about zero.
Though the White Sox don’t have a firm innings limit in mind for the 22-year-old left-hander, or at least one they are willing to disclose publicly, pitching coach Don Cooper told the Associated Press yesterday that they plan to monitor how many innings he’ll throw and “evaluate things as we’re going.” There’s no doubt that Sale has electric stuff, but one of the big unknowns is how his rail-thin frame will hold up to the rigors of pitching every fifth day in the majors.
Sale, who was selected 14th overall by Chicago in the 2010 First-Year Player Draft, has a 2.58 ERA and 111/37 K/BB ratio over his first 94 1/3 major league innings.
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 26
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 18
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)