Feb 25, 2012, 8:57 AM EDT
Chris Sale logged 71 innings out of the White Sox bullpen in 2011 and hasn’t started a game since May of 2010 at Florida Gulf Coast University, but that hasn’t stopped him from setting the bar pretty high for his first season in the starting rotation.
According to Chuck Garfien of CSNChicago.com, Sale said yesterday that he wants to pitch 200 innings this season.
“It’s not a matter of whether I think I can. I want to,” said Sale. “That’s something that I want to push for because that’s what this team needs. I don’t really like to set goals or live up to expectations and stuff because I tried doing that last year and I failed miserably.”
It’s nice to have goals and all, but the chances of this actually happening are just about zero.
Though the White Sox don’t have a firm innings limit in mind for the 22-year-old left-hander, or at least one they are willing to disclose publicly, pitching coach Don Cooper told the Associated Press yesterday that they plan to monitor how many innings he’ll throw and “evaluate things as we’re going.” There’s no doubt that Sale has electric stuff, but one of the big unknowns is how his rail-thin frame will hold up to the rigors of pitching every fifth day in the majors.
Sale, who was selected 14th overall by Chicago in the 2010 First-Year Player Draft, has a 2.58 ERA and 111/37 K/BB ratio over his first 94 1/3 major league innings.
- Bryce Harper pulled from Saturday’s game for not hustling 61
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 17
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 22
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 11
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)