Feb 25, 2012, 11:05 AM EDT
UPDATE: According to the official Dodgers’ Twitter account, Uribe is among the players who have reported early to camp. He told Dylan Hernandez of the Los Angeles Times that he will be in camp today and tomorrow before the trial starts Monday in San Francisco.
10:55 AM: Juan Uribe had a miserable first season with the Dodgers and his second isn’t getting off to the best start.
According to Dylan Hernandez of the Los Angeles Times, Juan Uribe isn’t expected to be present Monday with the rest of the Dodgers’ position players because he is scheduled for a trial against his former landlord in San Francisco.
Uribe is being sued by Christina Esteras for $145,000 in damages resulting from a kitchen fire he is suspected of starting while playing for the Giants in 2010. The trial is set to begin Monday at 9:30 a.m. and Esteras’ attorney, Josh S. Brownstein, said the case “absolutely” cannot be settled in one day, so Uribe will likely miss the first couple days of full-squad workouts.
Uribe signed a three-year, $21 million contract with the Dodgers last winter, but batted just .204/.264/.293 with four homers, 28 RBI and .557 OPS over 295 plate appearances in 2011 before undergoing season-ending surgery in September to repair a sports hernia. The 32-year-old is expected to serve as the Dodgers’ starting third baseman in 2012.
- The Lester trade is a win-win 44
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 110
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 38
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 90
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 52
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (117)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)