Feb 25, 2012, 4:10 PM EDT
Ryan Howard began fielding ground balls and taking batting practice this week, but his rehab from a torn Achilles will be put on hold for a couple of days so he can visit with surgeon Mark Myerson in Baltimore on Monday or Tuesday.
There appears to be a minor difference of opinion on the nature of the visit, as Phillies manager Charlie Manuel told Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com that Howard had a little “a little setback” while general manager Ruben Amaro, Jr. and assistant general manager Scott Proefrock indicated that his visit to Myerson is nothing more than a routine check-up.
“He’s come along good,” Manuel said. “He had a little setback, but the setback is nothing to get alarmed about. It’ll be healed up and he’ll be fine. The doctors and the trainers say he’s ahead of pace.”
“Sometimes they leave a little stitch in to dissolve,” he said. “It’s sticking out and causing a little soreness.”
Keep in mind that Howard was hitting on the field today, so it’s safe to say the Phillies wouldn’t have had him out there if there was any cause for concern.
Barring a significant setback, Howard could be back in the Phillies’ starting lineup sometime in May. Ty Wigginton, Jim Thome and John Mayberry, Jr. are expected to fill in at first base until he’s ready.
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 2
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case 56
- Rafael Soriano took back all that stuff he said about Bryce Harper 12
- Don Mattingly may be uttering his last words as Dodgers manager 48
- Jaime Garcia needs shoulder surgery 9
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (110)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (70)
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- LIVE: Heat host Pacers in Game 1 of East finals
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games