Feb 25, 2012, 10:08 AM EDT
We’re still hearing different information regarding where the sample was stored in the collector’s home — some reports say it was stored in a cooler in his basement while others say it was left in a tupperware container on a desk — but the identity of the collector is no longer a mystery.
Jeff Passan of Yahoo! Sports reported yesterday afternoon that the collector’s name is Dino Laurenzi. He has collected specimens for MLB since 2005 and even the NFL and NHL through his job with Comprehensive Drug Testing, Inc.
The Associated Press left a message on Laurenzi’s cell phone seeking comment, but they were able to speak with the collector’s father, Dino Laurenzi, Sr. He said his son was a collector for baseball’s testing program and is currently at spring training. He didn’t know his son was involved in Braun’s case, but said that any accusations about his conduct “would be unfounded.”
“He’s a straight shooter. Never been in trouble,” Laurenzi Sr. said.
Laurenzi sounds like a pretty experienced individual by all accounts, so one wonders who stands to benefit by revealing his name to the press. It’s probably not Braun or even arbitrator Shyam Das.
- Zack Wheeler goes six scoreless innings in MLB debut 4
- The San Jose lawsuit against Major League Baseball should be thrown out of court 36
- San Jose sues Major League Baseball, challenging its monopoly power 26
- Original Biogenesis source: “the people running Major League Baseball are the biggest scumbags on Earth” 41
- Brian Cashman calls out Yankees hitting coach Kevin Long 52
- MLB hands down the suspensions for Tuesday night’s Dodgers-Diamondbacks melee (111)
- Neil deGrasse Tyson explains why beanball wars are stupid (104)
- Democrats beat the Republicans 22-0 in the Congressional Baseball Game (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (88)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires