Feb 26, 2012, 10:27 AM EDT
Red Sox outfielder Carl Crawford told reporters earlier this month that he “wasn’t happy” about Red Sox owner John Henry expressing to the media last season that he was “personally opposed” to the former Ray’s seven-year, $142 million contract.
Rather than continuing to air their frustrations through the press, player and owner had a sit-down meeting recently in Red Sox camp. It lasted around 10 minutes, and it apparently went swimmingly.
“He was apologetic and I accepted his apology and we both agreed to just move and go from there,” Crawford told WEEI in Boston. “When someone is genuinely sorry for something, you can tell. I think he was genuinely sorry for it. I apologized for the season I had. Had I played better, he wouldn’t had to say that so we just both exchanged words that were good. I think we were able to clear the air and now it’s just time to move on.”
Crawford, a .296/.337/.444 hitter during his nine years in Tampa Bay, batted just .255/.289/.405 in 539 plate appearances last season for the Red Sox. He also stole just 18 bases after swiping 47 for the Rays in 2010.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 3
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 39
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 78
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- MLB “actively studying” fan safety; Phillies plan to expand netting at Citizens Bank Park 28
- Marlins might move in and lower the fences at Marlins Park 26
- Astros beat the suddenly skidding Yankees, top last year’s win total 30
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)
- Let’s all argue about team chemistry again (118)