Feb 26, 2012, 10:27 AM EST
Red Sox outfielder Carl Crawford told reporters earlier this month that he “wasn’t happy” about Red Sox owner John Henry expressing to the media last season that he was “personally opposed” to the former Ray’s seven-year, $142 million contract.
Rather than continuing to air their frustrations through the press, player and owner had a sit-down meeting recently in Red Sox camp. It lasted around 10 minutes, and it apparently went swimmingly.
“He was apologetic and I accepted his apology and we both agreed to just move and go from there,” Crawford told WEEI in Boston. “When someone is genuinely sorry for something, you can tell. I think he was genuinely sorry for it. I apologized for the season I had. Had I played better, he wouldn’t had to say that so we just both exchanged words that were good. I think we were able to clear the air and now it’s just time to move on.”
Crawford, a .296/.337/.444 hitter during his nine years in Tampa Bay, batted just .255/.289/.405 in 539 plate appearances last season for the Red Sox. He also stole just 18 bases after swiping 47 for the Rays in 2010.
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 10
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 69
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 125
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal 135
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (127)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (125)