Feb 26, 2012, 8:06 PM EDT
19 months after an experimental surgery, Jake Peavy is feeling good, but he’s still not completely sure about the health of his shoulder.
“I just don’t know. I just don’t know what to tell you,” Peavy told CSN Chicago’s Chuck Garfien. “I can tell you that I’m 19 months out of major surgery that nobody else has had, that nobody else has come back from. So there’s no gameplan. There’s no, ‘Hey look at this guy, and this is what he did after “x” months. The surgeons have just said once you’re 18 months, a year and a half out of surgery, you’re not going to get any better. About what you have is what you have.”
What he has probably won’t quite compare to his Cy Young form of old, but Peavy said “it feels amazing.”
Peavy went 7-7 with a 4.92 ERA in 111 2/3 innings before sitting out the final three weeks of last season. He’s guaranteed $17 million in the final year of the three-year, $52 million extension he originally signed with the Padres before being traded to the White Sox. There’s also a $22 million option for 2013 (with a $4 million buyout), but it’s hard to imagine that getting picked up.
For more on Peavy’s shoulder and the tension that developed between him and Ozzie Guillen as last season went along, check out Garfien’s article.
- Wild Card Game: Giants vs. Pirates lineups 1
- The beauty of belief 23
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 35
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 15
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 71
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)