Feb 26, 2012, 8:06 PM EDT
19 months after an experimental surgery, Jake Peavy is feeling good, but he’s still not completely sure about the health of his shoulder.
“I just don’t know. I just don’t know what to tell you,” Peavy told CSN Chicago’s Chuck Garfien. “I can tell you that I’m 19 months out of major surgery that nobody else has had, that nobody else has come back from. So there’s no gameplan. There’s no, ‘Hey look at this guy, and this is what he did after “x” months. The surgeons have just said once you’re 18 months, a year and a half out of surgery, you’re not going to get any better. About what you have is what you have.”
What he has probably won’t quite compare to his Cy Young form of old, but Peavy said “it feels amazing.”
Peavy went 7-7 with a 4.92 ERA in 111 2/3 innings before sitting out the final three weeks of last season. He’s guaranteed $17 million in the final year of the three-year, $52 million extension he originally signed with the Padres before being traded to the White Sox. There’s also a $22 million option for 2013 (with a $4 million buyout), but it’s hard to imagine that getting picked up.
For more on Peavy’s shoulder and the tension that developed between him and Ozzie Guillen as last season went along, check out Garfien’s article.
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 0
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 43
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 87
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (87)