Feb 26, 2012, 8:06 PM EST
19 months after an experimental surgery, Jake Peavy is feeling good, but he’s still not completely sure about the health of his shoulder.
“I just don’t know. I just don’t know what to tell you,” Peavy told CSN Chicago’s Chuck Garfien. “I can tell you that I’m 19 months out of major surgery that nobody else has had, that nobody else has come back from. So there’s no gameplan. There’s no, ‘Hey look at this guy, and this is what he did after “x” months. The surgeons have just said once you’re 18 months, a year and a half out of surgery, you’re not going to get any better. About what you have is what you have.”
What he has probably won’t quite compare to his Cy Young form of old, but Peavy said “it feels amazing.”
Peavy went 7-7 with a 4.92 ERA in 111 2/3 innings before sitting out the final three weeks of last season. He’s guaranteed $17 million in the final year of the three-year, $52 million extension he originally signed with the Padres before being traded to the White Sox. There’s also a $22 million option for 2013 (with a $4 million buyout), but it’s hard to imagine that getting picked up.
For more on Peavy’s shoulder and the tension that developed between him and Ozzie Guillen as last season went along, check out Garfien’s article.
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 21
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 48
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 48
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 35
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)