Feb 26, 2012, 8:06 PM EDT
19 months after an experimental surgery, Jake Peavy is feeling good, but he’s still not completely sure about the health of his shoulder.
“I just don’t know. I just don’t know what to tell you,” Peavy told CSN Chicago’s Chuck Garfien. “I can tell you that I’m 19 months out of major surgery that nobody else has had, that nobody else has come back from. So there’s no gameplan. There’s no, ‘Hey look at this guy, and this is what he did after “x” months. The surgeons have just said once you’re 18 months, a year and a half out of surgery, you’re not going to get any better. About what you have is what you have.”
What he has probably won’t quite compare to his Cy Young form of old, but Peavy said “it feels amazing.”
Peavy went 7-7 with a 4.92 ERA in 111 2/3 innings before sitting out the final three weeks of last season. He’s guaranteed $17 million in the final year of the three-year, $52 million extension he originally signed with the Padres before being traded to the White Sox. There’s also a $22 million option for 2013 (with a $4 million buyout), but it’s hard to imagine that getting picked up.
For more on Peavy’s shoulder and the tension that developed between him and Ozzie Guillen as last season went along, check out Garfien’s article.
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 43
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 17
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)