Feb 26, 2012, 8:06 PM EST
19 months after an experimental surgery, Jake Peavy is feeling good, but he’s still not completely sure about the health of his shoulder.
“I just don’t know. I just don’t know what to tell you,” Peavy told CSN Chicago’s Chuck Garfien. “I can tell you that I’m 19 months out of major surgery that nobody else has had, that nobody else has come back from. So there’s no gameplan. There’s no, ‘Hey look at this guy, and this is what he did after “x” months. The surgeons have just said once you’re 18 months, a year and a half out of surgery, you’re not going to get any better. About what you have is what you have.”
What he has probably won’t quite compare to his Cy Young form of old, but Peavy said “it feels amazing.”
Peavy went 7-7 with a 4.92 ERA in 111 2/3 innings before sitting out the final three weeks of last season. He’s guaranteed $17 million in the final year of the three-year, $52 million extension he originally signed with the Padres before being traded to the White Sox. There’s also a $22 million option for 2013 (with a $4 million buyout), but it’s hard to imagine that getting picked up.
For more on Peavy’s shoulder and the tension that developed between him and Ozzie Guillen as last season went along, check out Garfien’s article.
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 8
- Report: Talks between the Mets and Curtis Granderson have “intensified” 31
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury 159
- Marlins sign free agent catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia to three-year, $21 million contract 44
- Carlos Beltran likely to land with the Royals? 18
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (159)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (96)
- Robinson Cano met with the Mariners in Seattle (85)
- Yankees’ Jacoby Ellsbury signing to pay big dividends… for now (79)
- Robinson Cano says he never asked for $300 million (70)