Feb 26, 2012, 6:08 PM EST
“I don’t get paid to make those decisions,” Beckett told WEEI.com. “It doesn’t matter to me.”
David Ortiz had a similar response a day earlier on Saturday.
“It doesn’t matter,” he said. “We’re not here to drink; we’re here to play baseball. This ain’t no bar.”
Beckett was viewed as the ringleader in the Red Sox clubhouse drinking that led to the offseason controversy and this spring’s ban. Nineteen of the 30 major league clubs are believed to have clubhouse alcohol bans in effect.
- Rockies acquire Brett Anderson from A’s 10
- D’backs, Angels, White Sox agree to three-team Mark Trumbo deal 62
- Ranking MLB managers by . . . handsomeness 73
- Curtis Granderson: “A lot of people have told me real New Yorkers are Mets fans” 60
- The Phillies have told teams they’d trade Cliff Lee and Cole Hamels 53
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (112)
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi (110)