Feb 26, 2012, 9:33 AM EST
Mark Zuckerman of CSNWashington.com has much more on the just-completed deal, which includes a club option for a seventh season and could keep Zimmerman in a Nationals uniform through 2020.
Financial terms have not been disclosed, though there is a press conference scheduled for Sunday afternoon at the Nationals’ spring complex in Viera, Florida and it’s likely that more information will leak soon.
Zimmerman, 27, has registered a cool .288/.355/.479 career batting line and averaged 25 home runs per year since breaking into the major leagues in 2005. He was already under team control through 2013, but the Nats wanted to prevent him from getting even a whiff of the open market. And they now have.
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 155
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 10
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 33
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 83
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (160)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (94)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)