Feb 26, 2012, 9:33 AM EDT
Mark Zuckerman of CSNWashington.com has much more on the just-completed deal, which includes a club option for a seventh season and could keep Zimmerman in a Nationals uniform through 2020.
Financial terms have not been disclosed, though there is a press conference scheduled for Sunday afternoon at the Nationals’ spring complex in Viera, Florida and it’s likely that more information will leak soon.
Zimmerman, 27, has registered a cool .288/.355/.479 career batting line and averaged 25 home runs per year since breaking into the major leagues in 2005. He was already under team control through 2013, but the Nats wanted to prevent him from getting even a whiff of the open market. And they now have.
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple 76
- Yankees activate Mark Teixeira from the disabled list 0
- Ivan Nova diagnosed with a partially torn ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow 23
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Bryce Harper pulled from Saturday’s game for not hustling 93
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (127)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (99)