Feb 26, 2012, 12:35 PM EDT
Marshall was acquired via trade this offseason from the Cubs and hasn’t thrown a pitch yet in a major league game for the Reds, but he has a 2.45 ERA over his past 150 1/3 innings and is widely regarded as one of the most reliable relievers in baseball.
Marshall will become a free agent five days after the 2012 World Series if an extension is not completed.
UPDATE, 12:41 PM: Marshall told the Cincinnati Enquirer‘s John Fay: “We may have something tomorrow.”
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 0
- Albert Pujols becomes 26th member of 500 home run club 28
- MLB suspends Martin Maldonado, Carlos Gomez, Travis Snider, and Russell Martin for Easter brawl 45
- “Respect the Game?” Phooey. 102
- The MLBPA is serious about investigating leaks to reporters regarding Stephen Drew, Kendrys Morales 32