Feb 27, 2012, 5:12 PM EDT
Baez defected from Cuba in 1999 and had a few standout seasons for the Indians and Rays early in his career, but was a bust for the Orioles after signing a three-year, $19 million deal and also didn’t provide much value for the Phillies during a two-year, $5.25 million contract.
He pitched 10 total seasons for six different teams, compiling a 3.69 ERA from 2001-2005 and a 5.16 ERA from 2006-2011. Baez definitely hung around longer and made more money than his late-career performance warranted. All of which is how a reliever with one All-Star appearance and a 4.25 ERA in 697 career innings earned $43 million.
- Joey Votto reaches base six times as Reds rout Phillies 4
- Troy Tulowitzki says he wasn’t accusing Madison Bumgarner of cheating 6
- Quote of the Day: Brian Cashman is keeping Ben Francisco around to “piss everybody off” 27
- Report: Mets considering demoting Ike Davis 4
- The Astros lost in spectacular fashion last night 26
- Oxbow upsets Orb in Preakness
- Live Extra: Watch Game 3 between Sharks, Kings
- PBT Pacers top Knicks, punch ticket to conf. finals
- MST: Carpenter wins pole for 97th Indianapolis 500
- PHT: Red Wings even up series with Blackhawks
- PBT: Pacers may not have Hill for Game 6
- PHT: No surgery needed for Staal after brutal hit