Feb 27, 2012, 5:12 PM EDT
Baez defected from Cuba in 1999 and had a few standout seasons for the Indians and Rays early in his career, but was a bust for the Orioles after signing a three-year, $19 million deal and also didn’t provide much value for the Phillies during a two-year, $5.25 million contract.
He pitched 10 total seasons for six different teams, compiling a 3.69 ERA from 2001-2005 and a 5.16 ERA from 2006-2011. Baez definitely hung around longer and made more money than his late-career performance warranted. All of which is how a reliever with one All-Star appearance and a 4.25 ERA in 697 career innings earned $43 million.
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple 0
- Yankees activate Mark Teixeira from the disabled list 0
- Ivan Nova diagnosed with a partially torn ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow 20
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 32
- Bryce Harper pulled from Saturday’s game for not hustling 92
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (127)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (99)