Feb 27, 2012, 5:12 PM EDT
Baez defected from Cuba in 1999 and had a few standout seasons for the Indians and Rays early in his career, but was a bust for the Orioles after signing a three-year, $19 million deal and also didn’t provide much value for the Phillies during a two-year, $5.25 million contract.
He pitched 10 total seasons for six different teams, compiling a 3.69 ERA from 2001-2005 and a 5.16 ERA from 2006-2011. Baez definitely hung around longer and made more money than his late-career performance warranted. All of which is how a reliever with one All-Star appearance and a 4.25 ERA in 697 career innings earned $43 million.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 16
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 60
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 11
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Brandon Phillips: “How the [expletive] am I declining?” (61)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)