Feb 27, 2012, 5:12 PM EST
Baez defected from Cuba in 1999 and had a few standout seasons for the Indians and Rays early in his career, but was a bust for the Orioles after signing a three-year, $19 million deal and also didn’t provide much value for the Phillies during a two-year, $5.25 million contract.
He pitched 10 total seasons for six different teams, compiling a 3.69 ERA from 2001-2005 and a 5.16 ERA from 2006-2011. Baez definitely hung around longer and made more money than his late-career performance warranted. All of which is how a reliever with one All-Star appearance and a 4.25 ERA in 697 career innings earned $43 million.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 118
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 40
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 368
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (368)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (308)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (118)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (85)