Feb 27, 2012, 3:45 PM EDT
Allen Craig still has a long road back from knee surgery, but today he ran for the first time since having screws inserted into his kneecap in November.
“I was able to pick up the pace to a nice jog,” Craig told Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post Dispatch. “It wasn’t a run or a sprint, but it was a good jog.”
Craig still hasn’t been cleared to resume baseball activities and seems unlikely to be ready for Opening Day, but the Cardinals haven’t ruled that out yet.
Once healthy he’ll likely return in a part-time role, as the Cardinals signed Carlos Beltran to essentially replace Albert Pujols in the lineup and also have Matt Holliday and Lance Berkman at left field and first base.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 41
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 58
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 79
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 66
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)