Feb 27, 2012, 3:45 PM EST
Allen Craig still has a long road back from knee surgery, but today he ran for the first time since having screws inserted into his kneecap in November.
“I was able to pick up the pace to a nice jog,” Craig told Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post Dispatch. “It wasn’t a run or a sprint, but it was a good jog.”
Craig still hasn’t been cleared to resume baseball activities and seems unlikely to be ready for Opening Day, but the Cardinals haven’t ruled that out yet.
Once healthy he’ll likely return in a part-time role, as the Cardinals signed Carlos Beltran to essentially replace Albert Pujols in the lineup and also have Matt Holliday and Lance Berkman at left field and first base.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 74
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)