Feb 27, 2012, 11:20 PM EDT
Andy Pettitte announced his retirement last February after compiling 240 career wins, 2,251 strikeouts and a 3.88 ERA over 16 major league seasons, but he was back in Yankees’ camp earlier today. As a guest instructor, that is.
The 39-year-old naturally felt a bit nostalgic conversing with his former teammates and being back in uniform for the first time since the 2010 ALCS against the Rangers, but he told Bryan Hoch of MLB.com that he is quite content with retirement.
“Then you take a step back, you evaluate where you’re at, what you’ve been doing and the reasons that I retired – to be with the family and spend time with them,” Pettitte said. “Things are good. Things are really good; just loving life. No doubt, when you get around here and get close to it, you’re like, ‘Man, you’re 39 years old and Mo is 42.’ It’s just good to be here and be around the guys.”
Pettitte may not have a comeback in his future, but he has lobbied Yankees manager Joe Girardi to throw batting practice tomorrow.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 43
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 43
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 57
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 141
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (143)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (100)