Feb 27, 2012, 1:20 PM EDT
Bobby Abreu said last week that he’ll ask for a trade if the Angels aren’t going to use him as an everyday player, but apparently now he’s fine with something less than an everyday role.
There’s no getting around the fact that the Angels’ first base/corner outfielder/designated hitter logjam means Abreu will be a part-time player if he isn’t traded before Opening Day, but general manager Jerry Dipoto tried to assuage the 38-year-old’s playing time worries today by saying he’s in line for around 400 plate appearances.
Abreu got 585 plate appearances last season and it was his first time under 650 plate appearances since 1998. In other words, he’s basically never been a part-time player.
Abreu told Mike DiGiovanna of the Los Angeles Times that 400 at-bats “is fine with me,” although it’s worth noting that the Angels cited 400 plate appearances, rather than 400 at-bats, which can be a big difference considering Abreu’s walk rate. Whatever the case, I still think there’s a strong chance he’s moved between now and the end of spring training if Kendrys Morales and Mark Trumbo get healthy.
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 9
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 1
- HBT Daily: They’ve dropped six straight, but the Pirates may be the Wild Card favorites 2
- The Diamondbacks plan to bring back Kirk Gibson for some reason 30
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 32
- Numbers game: Tigers fall victim to baseball’s speed obsession 45
- Twins prospect Byron Buxton done for season after concussion 3
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. 74
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (125)
- Jayson Werth clocked at 105 m.p.h. in a 55 zone, is charged with reckless driving (88)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Baseball is dying, you guys (78)
- A vote for Tom Werner for commissioner is a vote to return to the dark ages (78)