Feb 27, 2012, 4:16 PM EDT
There have been some conflicting reports about the details of Ryan Zimmerman‘s contract extension with the Nationals, but Mark Zuckerman of CSNWashington.com has the year-by-year breakdown of the deal:
2012: $12 million
2013: $14 million
2014: $14 million
2015: $14 million
2016: $14 million
2017: $14 million
2018: $14 million
2019: $18 million
2020: $18 million or $2 million buyout
Zimmerman was already under contract for $12 million this season and $14 million in 2013, so he’ll make at least $116 million for the next eight seasons and as much as $132 million over nine seasons if the Nationals decide to pay him $18 million as a 35-year-old in 2020.
And the deal also includes a five-year, $10 million “personal services” contract that kicks in whenever Zimmerman retires, so that bumps his guaranteed money to at least $126 million and as much as $142 million.
Lastly, because the no-trade clause in the contract doesn’t begin until 2014 there’s a built-in bonus of $8 million if he’s traded before then. So technically he could earn up to $150 million, but he’s obviously not going to be traded within the next 24 months.
Add it all up and the actual extension is $90 million for six years, plus the $26 million for two years Zimmerman still had left on his original deal and the $10 million “personal services” agreement.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 18
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 26
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 24
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 39
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 54
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)