Feb 27, 2012, 4:16 PM EDT
There have been some conflicting reports about the details of Ryan Zimmerman‘s contract extension with the Nationals, but Mark Zuckerman of CSNWashington.com has the year-by-year breakdown of the deal:
2012: $12 million
2013: $14 million
2014: $14 million
2015: $14 million
2016: $14 million
2017: $14 million
2018: $14 million
2019: $18 million
2020: $18 million or $2 million buyout
Zimmerman was already under contract for $12 million this season and $14 million in 2013, so he’ll make at least $116 million for the next eight seasons and as much as $132 million over nine seasons if the Nationals decide to pay him $18 million as a 35-year-old in 2020.
And the deal also includes a five-year, $10 million “personal services” contract that kicks in whenever Zimmerman retires, so that bumps his guaranteed money to at least $126 million and as much as $142 million.
Lastly, because the no-trade clause in the contract doesn’t begin until 2014 there’s a built-in bonus of $8 million if he’s traded before then. So technically he could earn up to $150 million, but he’s obviously not going to be traded within the next 24 months.
Add it all up and the actual extension is $90 million for six years, plus the $26 million for two years Zimmerman still had left on his original deal and the $10 million “personal services” agreement.
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 8
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 12
- Mets general manager Sandy Alderson says Terry Collins’ job is safe 10
- Calf injury sends Miguel Cabrera to the disabled list for the first time in his career 7
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 9
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 31
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (88)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)