Feb 27, 2012, 9:12 AM EST
Haven’t done one of these in a while, but a lot of stuff happened over the weekend for once. And I know a lot of you knuckleheads are too lazy to scroll back, so here’s what you missed:
- MLB released a statement on the Ryan Braun testing and stuff. Oh, and the identity of the guy who collected the samples was revealed for some reason. I’m going to try not to continue to go all crazy about this this week, but you all know I can’t help myself with this kind of crap so I’m not making any promises;
- The Red Sox banned beer in the clubhouse. Josh Beckett says he doesn’t care, but just in case anyone needs it, I’ll just leave this right here.
- Ryan Zimmerman got a $100 million contract extension.
- The Mets will be wearing a pretty nice memorial patch in honor of Gary Carter this season.
- The Yankees and Russell Martin gave up on extension talks. After he posted his best year in four seasons, if I’m the Yankees, I wait a bit too.
- Joel Zumaya’s season ends with an elbow injury. As inevitable, and frankly as sad, as one could imagine.
- The Mets were “unimpressed” with Scott Kazmir over the weekend. I’d presume that the feeling was mutual.
- Mini Yu Darvish? Mini Yu Darvish.
- Carl Crawford to John Henry: “we good?” John Henry to Carl Crawford: “Yeah, we good.”
With all of that activity — and with what I think this is our first oblique injury of the spring — I believe it’s officially baseball season now.
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 42
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 37
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 166
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (166)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)