Feb 27, 2012, 9:12 AM EST
Haven’t done one of these in a while, but a lot of stuff happened over the weekend for once. And I know a lot of you knuckleheads are too lazy to scroll back, so here’s what you missed:
- MLB released a statement on the Ryan Braun testing and stuff. Oh, and the identity of the guy who collected the samples was revealed for some reason. I’m going to try not to continue to go all crazy about this this week, but you all know I can’t help myself with this kind of crap so I’m not making any promises;
- The Red Sox banned beer in the clubhouse. Josh Beckett says he doesn’t care, but just in case anyone needs it, I’ll just leave this right here.
- Ryan Zimmerman got a $100 million contract extension.
- The Mets will be wearing a pretty nice memorial patch in honor of Gary Carter this season.
- The Yankees and Russell Martin gave up on extension talks. After he posted his best year in four seasons, if I’m the Yankees, I wait a bit too.
- Joel Zumaya’s season ends with an elbow injury. As inevitable, and frankly as sad, as one could imagine.
- The Mets were “unimpressed” with Scott Kazmir over the weekend. I’d presume that the feeling was mutual.
- Mini Yu Darvish? Mini Yu Darvish.
- Carl Crawford to John Henry: “we good?” John Henry to Carl Crawford: “Yeah, we good.”
With all of that activity — and with what I think this is our first oblique injury of the spring – I believe it’s officially baseball season now.
- Mets sign 40-year-old Bartolo Colon for two years, $20 million 13
- MLB rules committee decides to eliminate collisions at home plate 17
- Mariners sign Corey Hart to incentive-laden deal 27
- David Price would not consider an extension with the Mariners if he’s traded there 33
- Media paying for athlete interviews? Not likely. But watch this stuff closely anyway. 20
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Managers, GMs to meet today to discuss the abolition of home plate collisions (113)