Feb 27, 2012, 9:12 AM EDT
Haven’t done one of these in a while, but a lot of stuff happened over the weekend for once. And I know a lot of you knuckleheads are too lazy to scroll back, so here’s what you missed:
- MLB released a statement on the Ryan Braun testing and stuff. Oh, and the identity of the guy who collected the samples was revealed for some reason. I’m going to try not to continue to go all crazy about this this week, but you all know I can’t help myself with this kind of crap so I’m not making any promises;
- The Red Sox banned beer in the clubhouse. Josh Beckett says he doesn’t care, but just in case anyone needs it, I’ll just leave this right here.
- Ryan Zimmerman got a $100 million contract extension.
- The Mets will be wearing a pretty nice memorial patch in honor of Gary Carter this season.
- The Yankees and Russell Martin gave up on extension talks. After he posted his best year in four seasons, if I’m the Yankees, I wait a bit too.
- Joel Zumaya’s season ends with an elbow injury. As inevitable, and frankly as sad, as one could imagine.
- The Mets were “unimpressed” with Scott Kazmir over the weekend. I’d presume that the feeling was mutual.
- Mini Yu Darvish? Mini Yu Darvish.
- Carl Crawford to John Henry: “we good?” John Henry to Carl Crawford: “Yeah, we good.”
With all of that activity — and with what I think this is our first oblique injury of the spring — I believe it’s officially baseball season now.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 21
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)