Feb 27, 2012, 9:12 AM EDT
Haven’t done one of these in a while, but a lot of stuff happened over the weekend for once. And I know a lot of you knuckleheads are too lazy to scroll back, so here’s what you missed:
- MLB released a statement on the Ryan Braun testing and stuff. Oh, and the identity of the guy who collected the samples was revealed for some reason. I’m going to try not to continue to go all crazy about this this week, but you all know I can’t help myself with this kind of crap so I’m not making any promises;
- The Red Sox banned beer in the clubhouse. Josh Beckett says he doesn’t care, but just in case anyone needs it, I’ll just leave this right here.
- Ryan Zimmerman got a $100 million contract extension.
- The Mets will be wearing a pretty nice memorial patch in honor of Gary Carter this season.
- The Yankees and Russell Martin gave up on extension talks. After he posted his best year in four seasons, if I’m the Yankees, I wait a bit too.
- Joel Zumaya’s season ends with an elbow injury. As inevitable, and frankly as sad, as one could imagine.
- The Mets were “unimpressed” with Scott Kazmir over the weekend. I’d presume that the feeling was mutual.
- Mini Yu Darvish? Mini Yu Darvish.
- Carl Crawford to John Henry: “we good?” John Henry to Carl Crawford: “Yeah, we good.”
With all of that activity — and with what I think this is our first oblique injury of the spring — I believe it’s officially baseball season now.
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 7
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 24
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 43
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 27
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 39
- The wait is over: The Cubs are calling up top prospect Kris Bryant on Friday 99
- Carlos Gomez headed to disabled list with hamstring injury 11
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract 153
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)