Feb 27, 2012, 9:12 AM EDT
Haven’t done one of these in a while, but a lot of stuff happened over the weekend for once. And I know a lot of you knuckleheads are too lazy to scroll back, so here’s what you missed:
- MLB released a statement on the Ryan Braun testing and stuff. Oh, and the identity of the guy who collected the samples was revealed for some reason. I’m going to try not to continue to go all crazy about this this week, but you all know I can’t help myself with this kind of crap so I’m not making any promises;
- The Red Sox banned beer in the clubhouse. Josh Beckett says he doesn’t care, but just in case anyone needs it, I’ll just leave this right here.
- Ryan Zimmerman got a $100 million contract extension.
- The Mets will be wearing a pretty nice memorial patch in honor of Gary Carter this season.
- The Yankees and Russell Martin gave up on extension talks. After he posted his best year in four seasons, if I’m the Yankees, I wait a bit too.
- Joel Zumaya’s season ends with an elbow injury. As inevitable, and frankly as sad, as one could imagine.
- The Mets were “unimpressed” with Scott Kazmir over the weekend. I’d presume that the feeling was mutual.
- Mini Yu Darvish? Mini Yu Darvish.
- Carl Crawford to John Henry: “we good?” John Henry to Carl Crawford: “Yeah, we good.”
With all of that activity — and with what I think this is our first oblique injury of the spring – I believe it’s officially baseball season now.
- Miguel Cabrera ties Hank Greenberg with 331st career homer 10
- Bud Selig’s view on replay has “evolved” 13
- Umpires use replay on controversial Matt Joyce home run 12
- Rangers put Ian Kinsler on the 15-day disabled list and call up top prospect Jurickson Profar 6
- Carlos Ruiz leaves game with strained right hamstring 2
- Parker carves up Grizzlies as Spurs roll in Gm. 1
- PHT: Senators sneak past Penguins in two overtimes
- PHT: Bruins crack Lundqvist, hammer Rangers
- HBT: Cabrera rips three homers, passes Greenberg
- MST: No bumping on Bump Day at Indy 500
- PBT: Spurs have too much offense for Grizz in Gm. 1
- PST: Arsenal grabs Champions League spot