Feb 27, 2012, 11:00 AM EST
The last time Joel Zumaya threw a baseball in a game that mattered was June 28, 2010. Given his injury over the weekend, if he does so again, it won’t be until 2013 at the earliest. Facing yet another rehab has to seem horrifying to the guy, so it would be totally understandable if he just decided to hang it up.
But he hasn’t figured that out yet. He told reporters this morning that he’s still thinking about it and that it’s a family decision. He’ll talk with other pitchers who have undergone Tommy John surgery to see what’s what.
Some guys are just snake bit. It’s a shame that a pitcher as fun to watch as Zumaya is one of them.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 27
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 29
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 376
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (376)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (146)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)