Juan Pierre can opt out of Phillies contract on March 31

Feb 27, 2012, 12:48 PM EDT

Juan Pierre

Juan Pierre‘s minor-league contract with the Phillies included an invitation to spring training and an opt-out clause that allows him to become a free agent again on March 31 if he’s not on the big-league roster.

If he does make the team Pierre will get $800,000 in guaranteed money and Bob Brookover of the Philadelphia Daily News speculates that he’s a near-lock to do so in part because Ryan Howard‘s injury creates a roster opening.

As for why Pierre chose to sign with the Phillies, he revealed:

To be honest, I didn’t have too many choices. It was late in the offseason and I felt [general manager] Ruben [Amaro Jr.] pretty much had his team set, so once they called I was shocked and I guess honored, too. They’re not in the business of wasting time. They’re in the business of winning.

And business is good!

1. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Feb 27, 2012 at 12:54 PM

I know not everyone’s high on Pierre, but I was surprised he got nothing better than this from the Phillies. I think he’s still worth a few million as a nice stolen base threat.

• phillyphreak - Feb 27, 2012 at 1:09 PM

I think it’s because he gets thrown out so much. Age is probably taking his speed away.

• teejayp - Feb 27, 2012 at 1:37 PM

HAHAHA.. the guy stole almost 70 bases in 2010… he has always been at the top of the league in the caught stealing category, it’s nothing new for him to get thrown out alot..

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Feb 27, 2012 at 1:42 PM

He’s always been thrown out a ton, in 11 full MLB seasons, he’s lead the league in caught stealing a whopping 7 times. He has almost zero power, and doesn’t walk at all.

• phillyphreak - Feb 27, 2012 at 2:16 PM

Teejayp:

Stealing lots of bases doesn’t make up for getting thrown out so much. He also went from 68 in 2010 to 27 last year (and got caught 1 less time in 2011).

(and for clarity my first statement didn’t mean to read he gets thrown out because age is taking speed away)

2. ncphilliesguy - Feb 27, 2012 at 2:40 PM

This guy had 170+ hits last year. I know there is probably some made up stat to show that doesn’t matter, but IMO, 170 hits is pretty good.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Feb 27, 2012 at 3:08 PM

It also means he made an out 461(!) times. That’s what happens when you have a terrible .329OBP and somehow bat leadoff all year

• phillyphreak - Feb 27, 2012 at 3:32 PM

Stop making stuff up Church. OBP? Please gimmie a break……

• phillyphreak - Feb 27, 2012 at 3:37 PM

But in all seriousness, nc, there really isn’t anything wrong with signing him to a minor league deal. Expectations just need to be adjusted accordingly.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5017)