Feb 27, 2012, 8:19 PM EDT
Bill Shaikin of the Los Angeles Times reports that the Magic Johnson-Stan Kasten group is among seven bidders left in the running to buy the Dodgers.
The field was whittled down to nine after the groups headlined by Peter O’Malley and Joe Torre dropped out over the past week. The groups led by Memphis Grizzlies’ owner Michael Heisley and Tony Rossler, a minority investor in the Brewers, were eliminated today.
The remaining bidders include groups led by Johnson and veteran baseball executive Stan Kasten; Connecticut investment king Steven Cohen and longtime Los Angeles agent Arn Tellem; Stanley Gold and the family of the late Roy Disney; and New York media executive Leo Hindery in partnership with Tom Barrack, chairman of Santa Monica-based Colony Capital.
St. Louis Rams owner Stan Kroenke, Beverly Hills-based real estate developer Alan Casden and Jared Kushner, owner and publisher of the New York Observer and son-in-law of Donald Trump, also remain in contention.
The seven remaining groups will now advance to a review process by MLB, which includes voting by two committees of owners. MLB is expected to inform outgoing owner Frank McCourt which bidders have advanced by mid-to-late March. McCourt will then hold one more round of bidding before identifying a winner by April 1. He is required to close the sale by April 30.
Shaikin notes that the Dodgers are expected to sell for more than $1.5 billion, which would establish a new record sale price for an American sports franchise.
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 8
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 18
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 14
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 22
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 43
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 11
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 79
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (263)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)