Feb 27, 2012, 8:22 AM EDT
As Billy Beane himself once said: “my sh** doesn’t work in the playoffs.” At least I think he said that. Or someone said it about him and attributed it to him. Point being: sabermetrics circa 2002 had a reputation for producing good regular season results and not working when the small sample size postseason came around.
Happened again last night. Despite six nominations, it came home from last night’s Oscar’s telecast with zero awards. Poor Brad Pitt had to go home empty-handed, with nothing to keep him warm except Angelina Jolie, his amazingly handsome looks and piles upon piles of money. Must be hard to be him.
Can’t say it’s a snub. I never bought anything about “Moneyball” as Oscar bait. Good movie. Not great. Other than a subject matter that is geared toward people like me, there wasn’t really anything about that put it over the top. And besides, I stopped getting worked up over Oscar snubs when “Forrest Gump” beat “Pulp Fiction” back in the day, so this isn’t going to come even close to animating me.
Oscar thread, people. All yours.
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 6
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 77
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 79
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 70
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 103
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (88)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)