Feb 27, 2012, 8:22 AM EDT
As Billy Beane himself once said: “my sh** doesn’t work in the playoffs.” At least I think he said that. Or someone said it about him and attributed it to him. Point being: sabermetrics circa 2002 had a reputation for producing good regular season results and not working when the small sample size postseason came around.
Happened again last night. Despite six nominations, it came home from last night’s Oscar’s telecast with zero awards. Poor Brad Pitt had to go home empty-handed, with nothing to keep him warm except Angelina Jolie, his amazingly handsome looks and piles upon piles of money. Must be hard to be him.
Can’t say it’s a snub. I never bought anything about “Moneyball” as Oscar bait. Good movie. Not great. Other than a subject matter that is geared toward people like me, there wasn’t really anything about that put it over the top. And besides, I stopped getting worked up over Oscar snubs when “Forrest Gump” beat “Pulp Fiction” back in the day, so this isn’t going to come even close to animating me.
Oscar thread, people. All yours.
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 16
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 45
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 47
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 91
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)