Feb 27, 2012, 8:22 AM EDT
As Billy Beane himself once said: “my sh** doesn’t work in the playoffs.” At least I think he said that. Or someone said it about him and attributed it to him. Point being: sabermetrics circa 2002 had a reputation for producing good regular season results and not working when the small sample size postseason came around.
Happened again last night. Despite six nominations, it came home from last night’s Oscar’s telecast with zero awards. Poor Brad Pitt had to go home empty-handed, with nothing to keep him warm except Angelina Jolie, his amazingly handsome looks and piles upon piles of money. Must be hard to be him.
Can’t say it’s a snub. I never bought anything about “Moneyball” as Oscar bait. Good movie. Not great. Other than a subject matter that is geared toward people like me, there wasn’t really anything about that put it over the top. And besides, I stopped getting worked up over Oscar snubs when “Forrest Gump” beat “Pulp Fiction” back in the day, so this isn’t going to come even close to animating me.
Oscar thread, people. All yours.
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 88
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 15
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 35
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 40
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 350
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (350)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (188)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (161)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)