Feb 27, 2012, 11:19 AM EDT
A.J. Burnett had a 4.97 ERA in three seasons with the Yankees, so his biggest contribution may have been the tradition of hitting teammates in the face with shaving cream pies after they delivered walk-off hits.
Joe Girardi was asked which player was most likely to take over that role following Burnett’s trade to the Pirates and the manager named Nick Swisher, who predictably would be very happy to oblige.
Swisher told Bryan Hoch of MLB.com that Burnett “was a good buddy of mine” and “a good buddy of all the guys in here” before explaining that “we’re going to have to keep something going, man, because people in New York want pie! You know, let’s just keep it going.”
That has to be the most Nick Swisher quote in the history of Nick Swisher quotes, although his “can you pie yourself?” question in response to Hoch asking what would happen if he’s the one who delivers the walk-off hit is up there on the list too.
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 7
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 29
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 55
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 26
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 12
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 45
- Giants to acquire Mike Leake from Reds 33
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)