Feb 27, 2012, 11:19 AM EDT
A.J. Burnett had a 4.97 ERA in three seasons with the Yankees, so his biggest contribution may have been the tradition of hitting teammates in the face with shaving cream pies after they delivered walk-off hits.
Joe Girardi was asked which player was most likely to take over that role following Burnett’s trade to the Pirates and the manager named Nick Swisher, who predictably would be very happy to oblige.
Swisher told Bryan Hoch of MLB.com that Burnett “was a good buddy of mine” and “a good buddy of all the guys in here” before explaining that “we’re going to have to keep something going, man, because people in New York want pie! You know, let’s just keep it going.”
That has to be the most Nick Swisher quote in the history of Nick Swisher quotes, although his “can you pie yourself?” question in response to Hoch asking what would happen if he’s the one who delivers the walk-off hit is up there on the list too.
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 3
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 38
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 13
- On the 10th anniversary of his MLB debut, let’s appreciate David Wright 29
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 36
- Odrisamer Despaigne loses his no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 8
- Brandon Belt headed to disabled list with concussion 5
- Cardinals are interested in David Price, but “would want a financial commitment” from him 47
- Baseball is dying, you guys (149)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Watch Derek Jeter tell Joe Buck to get the heck out of the clubhouse (91)
- Adam Wainwright follows the rules and pays the price (90)
- The Astros did not sign number one overall pick Brady Aiken. This is a big deal. (90)