Quote of the Day: Bobby Valentine on Francona’s comments

Feb 27, 2012, 2:30 PM EST

Boston Red Sox manager Valentine watches pitchers work out at the Red Sox new Major League Baseball spring training facility in Fort Myers

This morning Terry Francona said that Bobby V.’s banning of beer from the Red Sox’ clubhouse was a P.R. move.  Someone told Bobby V. about that and he responded:

“Remember, you’re getting paid over there for saying stuff. You get paid over here for doing stuff. I’ve done both.”

By “over there,” he means for ESPN, where Francona now works and Valentine did for the past couple of years.  And while, yes, he has filled both jobs now, his definition of “doing stuff” may come back to haunt him if his Red Sox perform poorly.

Because the moment Francona calls his first game, he will have done Valentine’s job there and will have two World Series rings.  Valentine? I guess we’ll see.

1. 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Feb 27, 2012 at 2:39 PM

…but it is a P.R. move.

• dondada10 - Feb 27, 2012 at 3:33 PM

It is.

With that being said, nearly two thirds of Majors now do not allow beer in the clubhouse. Did they all ban alcohol as P.R. moves, or did all agree that it’s in an athlete’s best interest to not drink while in uniform?

• Tim OShenko - Feb 27, 2012 at 3:36 PM

Sometimes what’s best for the team also happens to be what’s best for P.R.

• bigharold - Feb 27, 2012 at 3:53 PM

True enough but this as still handled poorly.

Done right, .. the RS FO would have addressed this issue and banned beer last fall there by removing it as a point of contention with the new manager AND, more importantly, not allowed it to linger for 5 months.

The RS have manage to mishandle just about every phrase of the their response to last September’s melt down. It may very well be a case study in how not to do damage control.

• Old Gator - Feb 27, 2012 at 6:34 PM

Bobby reminds me of the officers of that Kiwi corvette in Donovan’s Reef who declared the bar on Haleakaloha off limits to the enlisted sailors – whom they cleared to spend their shore leave chasing strange.

2. uyf1950 - Feb 27, 2012 at 2:43 PM

Don’t worry Bobby V. you’ll be “saying stuff” over there before you know it.

• jimbo1949 - Feb 27, 2012 at 4:20 PM

I believe he just did.

3. sportsdrenched.com - Feb 27, 2012 at 2:47 PM

Two guys that traded jobs during the off-season, trade barbs at each other all season might be as entertaining as the Miami Marlins. Hopefully this isn’t the first time they get into each other.

4. illbringdabeers - Feb 27, 2012 at 2:49 PM

Leave Bobby V. alone Terry. His managerial talents and world championships speak for themselves……………………………..cough

• bigharold - Feb 27, 2012 at 3:55 PM

Not to mention his fake “moose-stashes”.

5. phillyphreak - Feb 27, 2012 at 3:02 PM

I think it would be hilarious if the Rays win the division WHILE allowing beer in the clubhouse…..eve ET flies better when he’s had a few…..

(Anywho, spots still open in the second or third or whatever unoffical HBT fantasy league. Email me at yahoo if interested.)

6. cur68 - Feb 27, 2012 at 3:03 PM

I am going to enjoy Francona armchair managing the Sox, very, very, VERY much. I know this will likely cause me problems with my HBT girlfriend, 24missed (a BoSox superfan), but, like all men, I am prepared to put up with some female anger for a few cheap laughs. With any luck, for purposes of my amusement, discord in an AL Beast team (non-Blue Jays edition), and just because I like Francona by an order of magnitude over BV, I hope Francona is as openly smug as only a guy with 2WS rings can be as he watches his former club struggle mightily by mid season without him. It is my fervent hope to see another Valintine false mustache, this time in flaming, Hagar the Horrible red, by the All Star break, too. There’s just so much upside to this…

• 24missed - Feb 27, 2012 at 3:55 PM

GrrrrrrrrrrrrrrCur,
      That was the passive-aggressive silent treatment above. All that white space. That’s what female anger is all about.

I’m pro-Francona and wish he was back. In a related story, unicorns are somewhere playfully dancing with fairies dusting the planet, as only fairies can. Certainly, I only wish my team to be the winners they can and should be, but I can’t wait to hear more from Francona and less from BV.

Is there a reason there is no Blue Jays edition of the AL Beast? Ha Ha.

• cur68 - Feb 27, 2012 at 5:43 PM

That’s “discord in an AL Beast team”, non Blue Jays, thank you very much, missy.

Anyhow, I’m looking forward to Valentine as manager A LOT. He has the hallmarks of a slightly more coherent Ozzie Guillen, with the eccentricities of a Dusty Baker, the machinistic characteristics of a LaRussa and the payroll of a Girardi (almost). With Francona looking over his shoulder and pointing out the bleedin’ obvious all the time, Valentine’s gonna be in full glory this season. I can’t wait.

• 24missed - Feb 27, 2012 at 7:57 PM

You just wait, sweety-pie. And enjoy the show.
        For this has all the dynamics of a horror movie, preferrably directed by Tim Burton.

It will be interesting when BV actually has to manage. Does he really manage or just shake hands and smile? That’s one question looming over my head. I think Bobby V. has already been in full glory this off-season.

If Bobby V. was the manager you actually dreamed up, I think I’d love him. I’ve got a soft spot for a little more coherent Ozzie.

But, be careful what you say about your Jays before the season begins. Lots of smack about the Sox abound…but you never know what happens during the season.

And what’s up with that picture?

• cur68 - Feb 27, 2012 at 8:17 PM

If you ask around on this site I think you’ll find many of our fellow baseball nutters feel that a manager’s job is little more than shaking hands and smiling. I feel a bit differently, in that once in a while the right person, with the right group, can make magic happen.

Who knows? Maybe you’re right? We have this season ahead of us to find out if Bobby V can do more than make nice for the camera. I’m looking forward to it very much now that I have someone to taunt when my boys play your boys. May the best Beaver Wrestler win, too.

As to the picture, do you mean the one of me for my “gravitar”? If so, that’s my “Thinker” pose. I think I’ll add some personal data to it (read that: make sh*t up about myself for amusement’s sake), so anyone reading my personal profile can have a happy at my expense.

• 24missed - Feb 27, 2012 at 9:05 PM

I’m in your camp. At least re: managers and their role with the team.

This’ll be a more interesting season. Most non-RS fans are Yankee fans. It comes with the territory. Now, my HBT boyfriend is my rival. The Sox will chew
        you up and spit you out on your Opening Day! Take that!

And your pic? Seriously? That’s you?

Check out my poetry I wrote just for you under your words that brought tears to my eyes.

• bigharold - Feb 27, 2012 at 3:58 PM

“It is my fervent hope to see another Valintine false mustache, this time in flaming, Hagar the Horrible red…”

Which might be what he needs to do just to get around in Boston in peace.

7. bbk1000 - Feb 27, 2012 at 3:18 PM

I’m surprised Valentine, who is supposed to be an intelligent person, responded.

Bobby, like it or not you are trying to catch up to Francona, you have eight years to win two World Series….

• henryd3rd - Feb 27, 2012 at 4:15 PM

I’ll take the under!

• jimbo1949 - Feb 27, 2012 at 4:23 PM

wins or years?

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Feb 27, 2012 at 4:15 PM

He’s only signed for two years, so it’s back-to-back time!

8. jhastrello - Feb 27, 2012 at 4:23 PM

Valentine will not be a ‘quiet manager’ at all. He is not going to let the person that previously had his now current job, the ability to simply fire away without Bobby V’s rebuttals. I’m sure that ‘both of them’ realize it.

The bigger question for Boston and it’s fans – just how long Bobby V’s style is palatable there in Bean Town.

• bigharold - Feb 27, 2012 at 4:46 PM

It would have been wiser for Valentine to ignore it. It does nothing but extend a losing situation.

Also, if you think that the beer and chicken scandal really had any effect on or was in some way responsible for the RS abysmal play last September, (which I don’t), then the PR move was necessary. PR moves are to address perceived public perceptions. Also, Francona didn’t say that it was meaningless PR stunt in anyway. The crux of his remarks;

“It’s probably more of a PR move just because, you know, the Red Sox (took) such a beating at the end of the year.”, shows he thinks it was done to address a perceived view from the fans.

While I understand Valentine responding it certainly would have been smarter to deflect or ignore Francona’s remarks. Extending the beer and chicken story isn’t in the best interest of the RS.

I can’t wait for Francona to do his first Sunday night RS game.

• barryblogs - Feb 27, 2012 at 5:59 PM

As long as he’s winning. Should be fun, at least Valentine will get the team back on track. Francona let things go way too far last year. He’s a great manager, but it was time for him to go. Red Sox players need a kick in the ass. Let’s go Sox.

9. brokea$$lovesmesomeme - Feb 27, 2012 at 4:29 PM

I really liked Francona and he got a $hitty deal; but, I am a fan of the RS so who ever manages them I root for.

10. stew48 - Feb 27, 2012 at 4:47 PM

Francona displayed an enormous amount of childishness, just that simple.

• bigharold - Feb 27, 2012 at 4:56 PM

I tend not to agree because his remarks were in the form on analysis and was not meant was meant as a criticism.

Also, if you want to discuss bad form, .. you need look no further then all negative anonymous stories that suddenly appeared about Francona, that were attributed to the RS after he walked away last year.

11. aceshigh11 - Feb 27, 2012 at 6:27 PM

Craig makes a great point.

Terry already impressed people last off-season with his commentary, so not only is a two-time World champion, but a decent commentator.

Bobby doesn’t have ONE World Series yet, and his reviews as commentator were “mixed”, to say the least.

I’m pulling for Bobby and the Sox, don’t get me wrong, but now is NOT the time for bravado and running your mouth.

Just GET. IT. DONE.

12. deathmonkey41 - Feb 27, 2012 at 8:15 PM

Is that Bobby V in that pic?

13. sabatimus - Feb 27, 2012 at 9:25 PM

I guarantee that Terry will be a better commentator than Bobby—THAT goes without saying.

14. jason1214 - Feb 27, 2012 at 11:03 PM

“Doing stuff”, finishing 3rd in the AL East.

15. spoiledbratswhosuck - Feb 28, 2012 at 8:00 AM

Athletes at all levels are pampered and made to feel so special they think they can do anything, drink during games, speeding cars, punch out people with impunity, steroids, blah blah blah.

What happened in the Bosox clubhouse last year proves that most pro athletes are terrible citizens with bad habits. Only fans are too stupid to see it since most fans are wannabes……..

Go to school, get an education, respect yourselves first and sports are secondary.

Oh I forgot learn how to be humble and realize the lights do go out eventually on everybody.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (4837)