Feb 27, 2012, 4:00 PM EST
Zach Levine reports that Astros owner Jim Crane said yesterday that the Astros are “leaning heavily” toward new uniforms for next season, their first in the American League.
Apparently designs for new duds have to be submitted to Major League Baseball by May 1st to be available for next season. Which seems weird, but rules are rules. There’s no suggestion what the design might be, but Levine’s article comes with a slide show of all of the team’s past uniforms.
Note — as I did when I reviewed team uniforms a couple of years ago — that the past wasn’t all about rainbows. Often overlooked in Houston’s sartorial history are the late 60s-early 70s shooting star unis. Those things are just as pleasing as can be and don’t commit fashion disasters like the numbers on the pants issues those J.R. Richard rainbow jobs did.
Not that they need to go retro. In fact they shouldn’t. Except for the star-H on the caps. GOTTA have that. That is gold.
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 0
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 42
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 39
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 285
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 27
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (285)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (131)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)