The Tigers are “thrilled” with Miguel Cabrera’s defense at third base so far

Feb 27, 2012, 10:30 AM EDT

Detroit Tigers' Miguel Cabrera throws the ball during their MLB spring training workout in Lakeland, Florida

Jim Leyland was asked about how Miguel Cabrera is doing with his third base defense so far. He waxed enthusiastic:

“He’s working with the infield instructors,” Tigers manager Jim Leyland said, “and everybody’s really thrilled with what they’re seeing … Just how his hands look, how his actions look … (He’s) throwing to second, throwing to bases. He’s doing fine.”

I don’t think it’s unfair to be skeptical about all of thus until we see him in game situations.  But, man, the 1983 Los Angeles Dodgers won the NL West with Pedro Guerrero playing 157 games at third base, so I think it’ll be OK.

1. rooney24 - Feb 27, 2012 at 10:40 AM

Just the fact that he is willing gives him an initial boost over Hanley Ramirez. It might not turn out that way, but Cabrera at least has the right attitude to do whatever will help the team.

• Alex K - Feb 27, 2012 at 11:07 AM

How do you know that Hanley’s attitude is much, if at all, different? Everything we have heard from Hanley has been that he is going to work and help the team. Other than wild speculation by reporters and one quote from Ozzie there is no reason to believe that Hanley doesn’t have the right attitude. That quote from Ozzie wasn’t even all that damning.

2. okobojicat - Feb 27, 2012 at 10:44 AM

Years after Guerrerro retired from the Cardinals, I saw him playing independent ball for the Sioux Falls Canaries. He had quite the belly on him, but you didn’t throw him a strike; he hit line drives all over the field.

However, he took the game more like it was a Harlem Globetrotters game. He was mixing it up with the fans in between innings and always yelling at players who ambled down to first base, making sure whatever he said was loud enough for anyone on the first level to hear what he was saying.

Probably signed 500 autographs that day, and considering there was 1000 people in the stands, that was pretty amazing. Huge smile on his face. Man, those are good memories of baseball games and sunshine and begging ball boys for foul tips and eating ballpark dogs.

3. yankeesfanlen - Feb 27, 2012 at 10:48 AM

As a secondary Tigers fan, think I’ll expand my reprotoire: Leave Miggy Alone!

• phukyouk - Feb 27, 2012 at 10:57 AM

and as a Primary Yankees fan you should know that “miggy” belongs to Miguel Cairo.

• eddieapoc - Feb 27, 2012 at 11:20 AM

Lmao who the hell is Miguel Cairo?

• proudlycanadian - Feb 27, 2012 at 11:49 AM

Any relation to Joel Cairo?

• proudlycanadian - Feb 27, 2012 at 2:07 PM

Some thumbs down to my Joel Cairo reference. I guess that some kids did not get my nod to “The Maltese Falcon”.

• okobojicat - Feb 27, 2012 at 3:18 PM

Their loss. I thought it was awesome

4. papacrick - Feb 27, 2012 at 11:05 AM

“and as a primary Yankees fan you should know that “muggy” belongs to Miguel Cairo.”

Nope. The best player always gets dibs on a shared nickname.

5. kalinedrive - Feb 27, 2012 at 11:28 AM

As a Tigers fan in Florida, I keep up with the Marlins, too. Cabrera was known as Miggy when he was here, and I still use it, but the Tigers broadcasters have taken to calling him Cabby. I use Miggy, my brother uses Cabby.

• cur68 - Feb 27, 2012 at 12:16 PM

“MiCab”? ¿Si or no?

• phukyouk - Feb 27, 2012 at 12:44 PM

SI Motherfu*ker

• yankeesfanlen - Feb 27, 2012 at 6:13 PM

Phukyouk- +1000 for that, was thinking the same thing.

6. Ari Collins - Feb 27, 2012 at 2:11 PM

But I so expected them to publicly announce that he’s terrible out there!

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3739)