“Al Hrabosky… is the reason I am an alcoholic”

Feb 28, 2012, 11:04 AM EST

old TV

Last fall FanGraphs asked readers to offer their comments and observations about their team’s TV announcers.  They’re now starting a countdown of all of them, from worst to best.  Today’s installment has numbers 30-21.

I like it because, unlike a lot of broadcaster ratings, it has examples of some of the guys’ bad behaviors, good points and other observations. Usually you just hear “so-and-so is annoying and dumb,” which doesn’t really help.  Here you get this sort of thing:

29. St. Louis Cardinals
Broadcasters: Dan McLaughlin, Al Hrabosky, and Rick Horton
Ratings (Charisma/Analysis/Overall): 2.4, 2.1, 2.3

Three Reader Comments
• “I shouldn’t feel like sleeping when my favorite team is on TV.”
• “Whenever possible, I try to play some sort of alternate broadcast while the regular TV broadcast is on mute.”
• “Al Hrabosky… is the reason I am an alcoholic.”

Notes
It appears, from the reader comments, that Dan McLaughlin is a passable play-by-play man for most FanGraphs readers, but that Hrabosky and Horton are difficult to enjoy.

Tough, but fair and funny.  Looking forward to later installments.

1. Picked_Off - Feb 28, 2012 at 11:18 AM

“Al Hrabosky… is the reason I am an alcoholic.”

Funny, that’s the same thing Dan McLaughlin says.

• dwrek5 - Feb 28, 2012 at 11:37 AM

Funny, when I clicked the link I was fully expecting this quote to be from Dan. Maybe Dan reads Fangraphs…

2. cur68 - Feb 28, 2012 at 11:37 AM

McCarver & Buck are the reason I had a hangover for game 7 of the WS last year. Drinking was the only way to tolerate them during game 6.

• The Rabbit - Feb 28, 2012 at 2:13 PM

Thanks, cur. You’ve finally given me the explanation for my $24,000+ hospital bill.
      McCarver & Buck must have been the cause of a major internal organ rupturing without warning during Game 6 of the WS. Maybe if I had been drinking, it wouldn’t have happened.

• cur68 - Feb 28, 2012 at 2:25 PM

When my comments finally begin re-materializing on here, I’d just like to point out that major internal organ ruptures are not your only risk. Eyeball muscle strain can be fearful from all the rolling of them you do listening to those two “banter”. Vodka is the lube you need for that and other ailments. One day “tootblan” will make its way as a legit stat and be introduced as part of everyday commentary (or so I fervently hope). When that day comes I hope I’m around to listen to those 2 go on about it. I have a drinking game based on them getting the acronym wrong, acting like one or the other of them always knew of it, and misapplying it.

3. skids003 - Feb 28, 2012 at 12:08 PM

I will turn off the sound before I listen to McCarver or Brent Musberger.

4. deathmonkey41 - Feb 28, 2012 at 12:20 PM

I have to disagree- I actually like John Flaherty, but I would agree that the archive clips of Paul O’Neill flipping out and breaking stuff is worth the price of admission.

5. kalinedrive - Feb 28, 2012 at 12:41 PM

I like Mario Impemba and Rod Allen doing the Tigers games, but there is a drinking game that watches for overused phrases like Rod talking about “elevated” fastballs or a “piece of cheese” or the 1984 Tigers. The team I can’t stand listening to is Hawk Harrelson and Stone. Love it when Hawk goes silent and pouts because the Tigers are beating the Sox.

6. jrspike - Feb 28, 2012 at 1:15 PM

Maybe, the last comment should have beebread signed,
    Thanks Danny Mac.

7. churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Feb 28, 2012 at 1:38 PM

These are great.
    “I’m getting angry just thinking about Huson… I’m kinda angry at you guys for bringing him up. You ruined Christmas.”

“Rick Manning once said that it would be better to allow a solo home run than a double that could lead to a rally.”

How are the Yanks only 22? It’s been a few years since I had YES, but Michael Kay was godawful! The only saving grace was the FakeMichaelKay twitter account with such gems as:
    Hey fans, want to hear how I announced Dale Earnhardt’s death? At the track, at the wall, see ya he’s gone!

• dwrek5 - Feb 28, 2012 at 2:01 PM

Fav so far…
      “If they were a Nationals player they would be John Lannan.”

8. hank10 - Feb 28, 2012 at 1:50 PM

I am disappointed that the Phillies team of T Smack and Squeels (no one really pays attention to Sarge, as well) is rated 26. A more deserving ranking would be closer to absolute bottom. McCarthy get so busy talking about inane topics he totally misses most action on the field. Wheeler is Chatty Cathy incarnate. He believes he must comment on everything the director puts on the screen ‘Oh, look Tom, there’s a small bird on the batting screen guy wires’, ‘Hey, look at that vendor pour that beer.’ Nothing worse than an over-talkative know-it-all with a bad hairpiece to boot.

• paperlions - Feb 28, 2012 at 2:03 PM

You clearly underestimate how many bad announcers there are around the country.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5493)