Feb 28, 2012, 10:15 AM EDT
Last week Albert Pujols expressed his displeasure with the Angels’ marketing campaign that used billboards bearing his face and the “El Hombre” nickname that he’s never liked being associated with and now the team has responded.
Angels president John Carpino told Mark Saxon of ESPN Los Angeles that the situation has been “handled” and after speaking to Pujols’ agent there are no further plans to use the nickname on anything.
For now at least the billboards remain up in about 20 locations around California, but Carpino said: “If it caused embarrassment for Albert out of respect for Stan Musial, that’s the only concern of ours. Stan is a baseball icon. It was just an aggressive marketing campaign.”
Carpino revealed that the Angels received negative e-mails from fans about the billboards, but added that there hasn’t been “any fallout.” Pujols has said in the past that he didn’t approve of the nickname because Musial is “The Man” in St. Louis and he respects his legacy too much to use “El Hombre.”
Ultimately this is far from a big deal in the grand scheme of things, but it’s just surprising and a little weird that the Angels didn’t know about his stance on the nickname before deciding to plaster it all over town. Or knew and just didn’t care. Either way.
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 3
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 9
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 17
- Mets general manager Sandy Alderson says Terry Collins’ job is safe 11
- Calf injury sends Miguel Cabrera to the disabled list for the first time in his career 7
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 27
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 9
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (89)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)