Feb 28, 2012, 10:15 AM EDT
Last week Albert Pujols expressed his displeasure with the Angels’ marketing campaign that used billboards bearing his face and the “El Hombre” nickname that he’s never liked being associated with and now the team has responded.
Angels president John Carpino told Mark Saxon of ESPN Los Angeles that the situation has been “handled” and after speaking to Pujols’ agent there are no further plans to use the nickname on anything.
For now at least the billboards remain up in about 20 locations around California, but Carpino said: “If it caused embarrassment for Albert out of respect for Stan Musial, that’s the only concern of ours. Stan is a baseball icon. It was just an aggressive marketing campaign.”
Carpino revealed that the Angels received negative e-mails from fans about the billboards, but added that there hasn’t been “any fallout.” Pujols has said in the past that he didn’t approve of the nickname because Musial is “The Man” in St. Louis and he respects his legacy too much to use “El Hombre.”
Ultimately this is far from a big deal in the grand scheme of things, but it’s just surprising and a little weird that the Angels didn’t know about his stance on the nickname before deciding to plaster it all over town. Or knew and just didn’t care. Either way.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 64
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 50
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 58
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)