Feb 28, 2012, 10:15 AM EDT
Last week Albert Pujols expressed his displeasure with the Angels’ marketing campaign that used billboards bearing his face and the “El Hombre” nickname that he’s never liked being associated with and now the team has responded.
Angels president John Carpino told Mark Saxon of ESPN Los Angeles that the situation has been “handled” and after speaking to Pujols’ agent there are no further plans to use the nickname on anything.
For now at least the billboards remain up in about 20 locations around California, but Carpino said: “If it caused embarrassment for Albert out of respect for Stan Musial, that’s the only concern of ours. Stan is a baseball icon. It was just an aggressive marketing campaign.”
Carpino revealed that the Angels received negative e-mails from fans about the billboards, but added that there hasn’t been “any fallout.” Pujols has said in the past that he didn’t approve of the nickname because Musial is “The Man” in St. Louis and he respects his legacy too much to use “El Hombre.”
Ultimately this is far from a big deal in the grand scheme of things, but it’s just surprising and a little weird that the Angels didn’t know about his stance on the nickname before deciding to plaster it all over town. Or knew and just didn’t care. Either way.
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 4
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 7
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 27
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 58
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 4
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode 78
- The Red Sox are expected to deal Jon Lester and the Pirates are a “dark horse” 36
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (189)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (101)
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence (91)