Apparently, Gary Sheffield is an agent

Feb 28, 2012, 6:15 PM EDT

Gary Sheffield

That veteran right-hander Josh Banks signed a minor league deal with the Orioles on Tuesday will go unnoticed by most and rightfully so, but there was an interesting footnote to the story: Banks’ deal was negotiated by former major leaguer Gary Sheffield.

“[Sheffield] brought him here,” Baltimore VP of baseball operation Dan Duquette said, “because he sees the opportunity for pitchers to help our major league team. So Gary’s been paying attention, I’ll tell you that.”

According to the Baltimore Sun article, Sheffield also represents Pirates right-hander Jason Grilli.

Sheffield may seem an unlikely agent given his lack of a college education and his occasional clashes with management as a player, but he does have experience: he negotiated his own three-year, $39 million deal with the Yankees in the 2003 offseason.

Sheffield retired from baseball a year ago after sitting out the 2010 season. A nine-time All-Star, he hit .292/.393/.514 with 509 homers and 1,676 RBI in 22 seasons.

Banks, for the record, is 4-8 with a 5.66 ERA in parts of four major league seasons.

1. yahmule - Feb 28, 2012 at 6:22 PM

I thought we would have to wait until Sheffield was shunned by Hall of Fame voters to provide him with another platform to publicly brand people as racists.

• mox19380 - Feb 29, 2012 at 10:06 AM

what are you talking about? stop trolling start living man….

• yahmule - Feb 29, 2012 at 5:11 PM

Start updating that blog you’ve neglected since June of 2010. Everybody is waiting to completely ignore it again.

• mox19380 - Mar 1, 2012 at 11:35 AM

haha good one. if I hadn’t moved on to bigger and better things than writing free blog perhaps just perhaps I’d be insulted at your weak insult at something I did for fun and to work my writing muscles

• yahmule - Mar 2, 2012 at 4:52 AM

I actually thought it was pretty good, considering English is clearly your second language.

2. bigharold - Feb 28, 2012 at 6:44 PM

“…he negotiated his own three-year, $39 million deal with the Yankees in the 2003 offseason.”

Yeah and promptly decided he didn’t like the contract.

Unlike his playing days Gary won’t get anywhere sulking and brooding if his clients contract negotiations aren’t going his way.

3. El Bravo - Feb 28, 2012 at 7:14 PM

love it

4. westsideculture - Feb 28, 2012 at 7:30 PM

can I get him to do my book deal?

5. vincentbojackson - Feb 28, 2012 at 11:12 PM

So he has two more clients than I do.

6. dracko19 - Feb 29, 2012 at 9:28 AM

He officially retired? Do the Tigers still need to pay him then?

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (2866)