Bobby Valentine is already trolling Yankees fans

Feb 28, 2012, 8:50 PM EDT

Boston Red Sox manager Valentine watches pitchers work out at the Red Sox new Major League Baseball spring training facility in Fort Myers

If Bobby Valentine’s goal is to play the role of villain in the eyes of Yankees’ fans, he’s already off to a pretty good start.

According to the Associated Press, earlier today the Red Sox were practicing relay throws and Valentine was asked about Derek Jeter‘s famous “flip” to home plate in Game 3 of the 2001 ALDS against the A’s. His answer?

“We’ll never practice that,” Valentine said. “And I think (Jeter) was out of position and I think the ball gets (Giambi) out if he doesn’t touch it, personally.”

“That was amazing that he was there,” Valentine said. “Then it was more amazing to say they practiced it. I don’t believe it.”

Of course, unless Valentine is some sort of omnipotent being, he has no way of knowing how the second hop would have affected the path of the ball to home plate. Jeter’s flip at least allowed the ball to get to Jorge Posada on the fly. And as Rob Neyer recalled late this afternoon, former Yankees’ manager Buck Showalter claims that Jeter did indeed practice the flip play.

But Valentine wasn’t done ribbing the Yankees. When asked to comment on what Jason Varitek meant to the Red Sox organization, he brought up the infamous benches-clearing incident between the longtime catcher and Alex Rodriguez on July 24, 2004.

“He is a man’s man,” Valentine said of Varitek. “He was a big hitter when needed. He was a leader of the pitching staff. He was able to beat up Alex. All that stuff is good stuff. He was exactly what he was supposed to be.”

If you’ll recall, Rodriguez was plunked by Bronson Arroyo and jawed with the pitcher on the way to first base. Varitek then jumped in between them and shoved his catcher’s mitt in Rodriguez’s face. A-Rod then attempted to put Varitek in a headlock, but the pair were eventually separated as part of a scrum after benches cleared. Whether Varitek actually “beat up” Rodriguez is up for debate, but I guess it works for a quick sound bite. And it’s certainly a moment which epitomized the intensity of the intense rivalry between the clubs at that particular time.

And so, I’ll give Valentine a four out of 10 for historical accuracy. But his trolling ability is pretty spot on.

1. Glenn - Feb 28, 2012 at 8:55 PM

Cripes almighty – the only job for anyone involved with the Red Sox right now is too STFU and win some baseball games. I’m embarrassed.

2. deathmonkey41 - Feb 28, 2012 at 8:59 PM

What he should be talking about is how as manager of the Mets, his team was able to sweep the Yankees in the 2000 World Series…oh wait…

3. ditto65 - Feb 28, 2012 at 9:00 PM

Valentine is funny. Does he still have that gig at ESPN?

• bigharold - Feb 28, 2012 at 9:49 PM

No but I bet he still has that fake “Moose Stash”

Let me see if I got this right, .. Jeter and Showalter are lying but he invented the wrap? What douche-baggery .

Even funnier yet, the Nation will dig him shooting off his mouth and say how great it is he not afraid of the big bad Yankees, . and how great that is. The same people the likely root for the Patriots and talk smack about Rex Ryan shooting his mouth off. Go figure.

You’d think after the Yankees smack the Mets around in the WS he’s be smarter this time and not go around “poking the bear”. I guess he’s still gets a little emotional when he looks back.

4. randygnyc - Feb 28, 2012 at 9:05 PM

Valentine will fit in nicely with the scumbags in Boston.

5. cur68 - Feb 28, 2012 at 9:18 PM

We can file this under “Stuff Terry Francona Would Never Say”. Valentine, helping: ¿Si, or no?

• Glenn - Feb 28, 2012 at 9:27 PM

No MFer!!!

• bigharold - Feb 28, 2012 at 9:40 PM

MUY NO Bieno

• bigharold - Feb 28, 2012 at 9:41 PM

No Bueno

6. yankeesgameday - Feb 28, 2012 at 9:24 PM

Perfect fit for Boston since he’s short with an inferiority/napoleon complex.

• Glenn - Feb 28, 2012 at 9:29 PM

Projecting, little man?

7. yankeesjetsknicksrangers - Feb 28, 2012 at 9:49 PM

Saying something like this takes the spotlight off their collapse last season and get the press taking about something other than fried chicken and beer. Its hilarious that people fall for this stuff and start analyzing the play he mentioned.

I like Bobby V and this should be a fun year, but he will wear out his welcome in Boston within a couple of years.

• ditto65 - Feb 28, 2012 at 10:01 PM

It serves a two-fold purpose: It takes the spotlight off the players and puts the spotlight on Bobby (where he likes it).

• Jonny 5 - Feb 28, 2012 at 10:49 PM

*(where his teeth like it)

8. bigharold - Feb 28, 2012 at 10:05 PM

““He is a man’s man,” Valentine said of Varitek. ”

Here’s a hint; … A Man’s Man takes off his catchers mask before starting a fight.

• phillyphreak - Feb 28, 2012 at 10:12 PM

Survival of the fittest!

• skeleteeth - Feb 29, 2012 at 9:06 AM

A man’s man also doesn’t wear a giant elbow pad and cry like a bitch when he gets hit with an off-speed pitch on said giant elbow pad…

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Feb 29, 2012 at 11:38 AM

How dare you rip on Papi like that! He is the teflon DH.

• deathmonkey41 - Feb 29, 2012 at 12:18 PM

It’s not all Varitek’s fault- I’m sure there was something that increased his “rage” back then- just can’t think of what that would be. Oh well, I’m sure we’ll figure it out one day. He’s just lucky his fellow Boston thugs were there to break it up because he was able to get his mask ripped off and turned into Rodriguez’s beotch, then he’d be the one hand-feeding A-Rod popcorn during the Superbowl.

• deathmonkey41 - Feb 29, 2012 at 12:25 PM

sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo – Feb 29, 2012 at 11:38 AM
        How dare you rip on Papi like that! He is the teflon DH.

Yeah, what a little girl- maybe it was just that time of the month when he made these whiny statements about CC hitting him.

“I just want to thank you guy(s) – not all of you, most of you – for the stat today: me not getting hit by the Yankees. I finally got hit. I hope you (jerks) are happy.”

Next Ortiz called the group “unprofessional.”

He concluded the interview by saying, “You guys like to criticize us when we (mess) up. Criticize yourself now.

“I’m not talking no more. Good night.”

9. phillyphreak - Feb 28, 2012 at 10:15 PM

I think that makes two managers trolling Yankees fans today: Valentine for this and Girardi for saying Pineda has to compete for a rotation spot.

For the night crowd, I’m trying to fill a HBT fantasy league. Email me at yahoo if interested…it’s about half full now (12 team standard 5×5 roto).

10. pickelback - Feb 28, 2012 at 10:43 PM

Francona would never do this kind of shite. Bobby V is a subliminal genius, already- now it begins!

11. dirtyharry1971 - Feb 28, 2012 at 11:00 PM

bobby v is still upset over the 2000 WS so who cares?

12. jmmsr1 - Feb 28, 2012 at 11:13 PM

I’ve said it before – I’ll say it again. Valentine is the village idiot. Too bad he doesn’t read these posts, if he did he would know his scam is up. Get a real job you prick!

13. pisano - Feb 28, 2012 at 11:20 PM

I hope this little scumbag doesn’t turn into the Rex Ryan of baseball.

14. jimbo1949 - Feb 29, 2012 at 12:04 AM

back under the bridge, troll

15. bronxbomber213 - Feb 29, 2012 at 12:32 AM

Sounds like hes still salty about Jeter being the MVP of that WS…that leadoff homer in game 4 must still keep him up at night….He’s right about Varitek tho only “a mans man” would wanna fight a dude with FULL CATHERS GEAR ON!!! Hey Bobby take the Boston medias dick out of your mouth and go to the novelty shop… I Hear fake beards and glasses combos are half off!!!

16. randygnyc - Feb 29, 2012 at 1:04 AM

I was lucky enough to spend time tonight with retired Yankee reliever Jeff Nelson. Soils guy who was only interested in talking about the team. Also got to meet frank Thomas and jack Morris. Both guys were stud players. All 3 guys were completely laid back and welcomed the idea of taking pictures with my 10 year old daughter. The event was sponsored by MLB.tv which starts tomorrow for 2012. That simple tech allows me to keep my eyes on the red sox org, all year long. I’m looking for flips, but a different kind. I’m looking for laziness and at the players who grow content and then quit, on themselves, their team and the fans. It’s the fen—way.

17. cdeangelus - Feb 29, 2012 at 1:10 AM

The only way this can get any better is if Joe Girardi retires and Bobby Valentine’s older brother Max Valentine gets the job as the Yankees manager.

18. cmbailey7384 - Feb 29, 2012 at 5:56 AM

As a Red Sox fan I already want this guy fired. He hasn’t even won a game yet and he’s already talking about the Yankees? If I didn’t know any better I would swear that this job has already gone to his head.

• wendell7 - Feb 29, 2012 at 7:18 AM

He was asked a question about Jeter’s flip play … he answered a question. it’s not like he showed up to spring training and immediately started blabbing about the Yankees. This is a non-story that the media tries to turn into big news in an attempt to further trump up the Red Sox / Yankees rivalry.

• sparkycon - Feb 29, 2012 at 10:52 AM

i guess i would want to know WHY he was asked the question about “the flip” since it was against the A’s and not the Mets. I don’t see anyone asking him why he didn’t order someone to hit Jeter in the head after Clemens tried to hit Piazza with his bat shard in the 2000 World Series. That would actually be a question about how he manages….

• bigharold - Feb 29, 2012 at 12:36 PM

“He was asked a question about Jeter’s flip play …”

True enough. And, had his response been limited to we don’t practice that play, I don’t think it’s worth the effort and and I thought Jeter was out of position that’s likely the end of it because it’s nothing more than his opinion.

But, no Bobby can’t leave it alone. When he states that the ball would have gotten to home plate in time without his intervention is flat wrong. It was off course for home plate and even the Boston writers called him on that because without Jeter’s toss Giambi scores. And, the thing that really makes his remarks petty and small in all it’s Bobby V-ness was the part where he essentially called Jeter ans Showalter liars saying he didn’t believe that they practiced it. What passive aggressive dumb ass-ness.

As was stated at the out set of this topic, .. it might be better if His Bobness won a few games before he started shooting his mouth off. If the RS start this season anything like they started last season Bobby better have a trunk full of fake “moose stashes” or walking around Boston won’t be fun.

19. brewcrewfan54 - Feb 29, 2012 at 6:20 AM

Bobby Valentine is the smartest guy in baseball. Just ask him, he’ll tell ya.

20. yankeesfanlen - Feb 29, 2012 at 8:20 AM

If anything will propel the Universe to 103 wins this year in the regular season, it’s good ol’ Bobby V. managing the Nation.

21. stex52 - Feb 29, 2012 at 9:38 AM

If he were anywhere else, I would say the comments were unwise. But feeding the fire just seems to be part of the game between those two teams. In that case he is being pretty smart.

22. realgone2 - Feb 29, 2012 at 11:38 AM

Screw both of these teams. Haha

23. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Feb 29, 2012 at 12:20 PM

Did Bobby V just say, while ripping Tito Francona, that “a broadcasters job is to say things while a manager’s job is to do things”? It appears Bobby forgot where he is for the moment.

Tito brought 2 rings to Boston, what have you done Bobby?

24. kcredneck - Feb 29, 2012 at 4:12 PM

BOBBY WHO?

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (3185)