David Wright doesn’t want to think of the Mets as underdogs

Feb 28, 2012, 1:00 PM EDT

Underdog

Yesterday, Jeff Wilpon gave Mets players t-shirts with a “U” on them — the Underdog symbol, reflecting that no one really thinks the Mets are gonna do anything this year.

T-shirts with slogans on them don’t really do anything — I still haven’t found the beef and I am not, in fact, a pepper, despite what shirts I owned in the 1980s suggested — but they’re harmless enough. And for crying you loud, the atmosphere around the Mets has been so dreary for so long, at least someone was trying to have a little fun.  All the better that the guy trying to have the fun — Wilpon — is the boss.

But David Wright will not have any of these shenanigans:

“I don’t really like using the whole underdog thing. I don’t really like playing that card. I think it’s just a way to remind everybody in here that the outside expectations aren’t the expectations that we have for ourselves.”

Thanks for your input, Buzz Killington. I look forward to your “We believe we should win the division but, at the end of the day, we will be satisfied with whatever happens as long as we put forth a solid effort and play with integrity and dignity” t-shirts.  Those things should sell like hotcakes.

1. nategearhart - Feb 28, 2012 at 1:15 PM

The New York Mehs.

2. phukyouk - Feb 28, 2012 at 1:44 PM

” I look forward to your “We believe we should win the division but, at the end of the day, we will be satisfied with whatever happens as long as we put forth a solid effort and play with integrity and dignity” t-shirts. Those things should sell like hotcakes.”

Not nearly as hot as the SI Motherfu*ker shirts

3. woodenulykteneau - Feb 28, 2012 at 1:46 PM

Fourth best pro team in N.Y. was probably too harsh

• majmayhem - Feb 28, 2012 at 2:43 PM

You seriously think the Mets are better than the Knicks, Rangers, Islanders and Bills (or Jets depending on your rankings)?

• woodenulykteneau - Mar 2, 2012 at 8:40 AM

*sigh* the other three being the New York Yankees, Staten Island Yankees, and the Brooklyn Cyclones. Why do I keep forgetting that the philistines need to have everything spelled out explicitly?

4. tacklemeelmo - Feb 28, 2012 at 1:53 PM

But do you “Heart to Fart” Craig?

5. Jonny 5 - Feb 28, 2012 at 2:44 PM

If I were David Wright and the guys who are running the Mets into the ground handed me that shirt, I’d want to punch them in the face. Think about the state of the Mets when he started with them, and look at them now. The Wilpons have balls, I have to give them that much. I mean what size balls does it take to instead of paying Bonilla 5.9 million, agree to pay him around 30 million at a later date? Large enough to make sure not enough blood gets to your brain, I’d say. Wright probably took it as an insult and I’m not sure I’d take it much differently if I were him. He still wants to be a winner, who can blame him for that?

• ptfu - Feb 28, 2012 at 9:23 PM

Right. The Wilpons CAUSED the Mets to descend into underdogness–or at least had a major role in it–and now a T-shirt’s supposed to make it OK?

It would have been fine if the T-shirts had started with the manager, or someone on the active roster. Funny, inspirational, change of pace, whatever. However, it’s a bit rich when the person responsible does it…

6. The Dangerous Mabry - Feb 28, 2012 at 4:16 PM

To be fair, just about every team plays the “underdog” card, and it’s pretty tired. Wasn’t it just recently that someone was saying nobody believed in the Texas Rangers? Good on David Wright for not wanting to be part of that nonsense; it’s one of the more annoying behaviors in sports.

7. bbk1000 - Feb 28, 2012 at 4:49 PM

David, long time Mets fan…..it’s been good seeing you play, I hope you win a championship after you get traded.

Remember the fans are on your side, the owner of this team is not a baseball guy, really has no business owning a team.

Just because you can afford to buy a motorcycle doesn’t mean you should have any business riding it….

Mr. Wilpon may have purchased the team but obviously can’t run it…..

8. rob0527 - Feb 28, 2012 at 4:54 PM

David do u think you r the favorites? Underdog is a step up, the mets r going to suck this year, they have no chance to compete for division title. Wilpon is trying to hide this fact and make people believe they have a shot.

9. hushbrother - Feb 28, 2012 at 6:06 PM

Ownership should get Underdog Woman to perform her interpretive dance for the team, to lift their spirits.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5559)