Feb 28, 2012, 1:50 PM EDT
Franklin Gutierrez, who had all sorts of health problems last season but was said to be at full strength this spring, left Mariners camp this morning in a car driven by the team’s trainer.
No further details are known yet, but when asked about the situation by Geoff Baker of the Seattle Times general manager Jack Zduriencik said: “I can’t comment on it at this time.”
Baker speculates that “if this was a routine examination not worthy of concern, Zduriencik would have said so.”
Gutierrez hit just .224 with .534 OPS last season and missed 70 games with a significant stomach problem and an oblique injury, giving him back-to-back disappointing years following a breakout 2009 season in which he hit .283 with 18 homers and a .764 OPS while winning a Gold Glove award for brilliant defense in center field.
UPDATE: Baker says Gutierrez hurt his shoulder while making throws from the outfield.
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 141
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 66
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 36
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (159)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)