Feb 28, 2012, 1:50 PM EDT
Franklin Gutierrez, who had all sorts of health problems last season but was said to be at full strength this spring, left Mariners camp this morning in a car driven by the team’s trainer.
No further details are known yet, but when asked about the situation by Geoff Baker of the Seattle Times general manager Jack Zduriencik said: “I can’t comment on it at this time.”
Baker speculates that “if this was a routine examination not worthy of concern, Zduriencik would have said so.”
Gutierrez hit just .224 with .534 OPS last season and missed 70 games with a significant stomach problem and an oblique injury, giving him back-to-back disappointing years following a breakout 2009 season in which he hit .283 with 18 homers and a .764 OPS while winning a Gold Glove award for brilliant defense in center field.
UPDATE: Baker says Gutierrez hurt his shoulder while making throws from the outfield.
- Felix Hernandez pounded as Mariners lose fourth straight 6
- Blue Jays manager John Gibbons will return in 2015 4
- HBT Daily: Why did Frank Wren get the axe? 2
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 57
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (111)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (87)