Feb 28, 2012, 1:50 PM EST
Franklin Gutierrez, who had all sorts of health problems last season but was said to be at full strength this spring, left Mariners camp this morning in a car driven by the team’s trainer.
No further details are known yet, but when asked about the situation by Geoff Baker of the Seattle Times general manager Jack Zduriencik said: “I can’t comment on it at this time.”
Baker speculates that “if this was a routine examination not worthy of concern, Zduriencik would have said so.”
Gutierrez hit just .224 with .534 OPS last season and missed 70 games with a significant stomach problem and an oblique injury, giving him back-to-back disappointing years following a breakout 2009 season in which he hit .283 with 18 homers and a .764 OPS while winning a Gold Glove award for brilliant defense in center field.
UPDATE: Baker says Gutierrez hurt his shoulder while making throws from the outfield.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 75
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)