Feb 28, 2012, 2:14 PM EDT
Freddie Freeman reported to spring training in The Best Shape Of His Life, but the Braves’ first baseman is expected to sit out at least two weeks after injuring his right knee in this morning’s workout.
Mark Bowman of MLB.com reports that “Freeman’s right knee popped out of place as he reached to pick a low throw at first base” and “he limped off the field and was still walking with a heavy limp as he made his way toward a photo shoot on Tuesday afternoon.”
Freeman told Bowman that he had a similar injury at Triple-A and ended up missing only a couple weeks, so there’s some optimism that he’ll be healthy in time for Opening Day.
Eric Hinske would seemingly be in line to step in at first base if needed, assuming it isn’t a major injury.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 33
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 26
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 38
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 89
- The Lester trade is a win-win 113
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (122)