Great Moments in Not Letting Go of the Past

Feb 28, 2012, 9:31 AM EDT

You may have forgotten that Adam Wainwright struck out Carlos Beltran looking to end the 2006 NLCS.  That is, unless you read the New York tabloids because they have never let that go.

And so it was this morning, that Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch tweeted that Beltran was going to face his new teammate Wainwright in batting practice today. Which led to this exchange. Note: I was joking when I said what I said:

Never change, New York media. Never, ever change.

1. thefalcon123 - Feb 28, 2012 at 10:44 AM

Beltran is such a chump. Did you know that wiener only had a 1.054 OPS in that series? I mean, 8 runs scored, 3 homers, .296/.387/.667 slash line…who are you, Lastings Millidge?

Other notable performers that series include:
    Paul LaDuca, who hit .207
    Endy Chavez who hit .185 (yeah, he made an awesome catch. But that doesn’t make up for that!)
    David Wright who hit .160
    Steve Trachsel and his 1 IP/5 ER start
    Billy Wagner’s 16.88 ERA

How about Mets fans stop blaming the guy who had the 2nd best series of anyone on the team.

• dohpey28 - Feb 28, 2012 at 11:04 AM

Only idiot Met fans blame him. I don’t. Unfortunately I still sadly think I am in the minority.

• papasadappa - Feb 28, 2012 at 11:23 AM

No I think we are the “silent majority” I have never met one of these Mets fans who blame Beltran yet apparently they are out there still seething over a Wainwright curveball that Beltran had no chance of hitting anyway. I really think it is driven by the beat reporters though.

• dohpey28 - Feb 28, 2012 at 1:01 PM

I hope you’re right papa

• marshmallowsnake - Feb 28, 2012 at 11:33 AM

Lastings Millidge didn’t last. (what an ironic first name)

• thefalcon123 - Feb 28, 2012 at 1:40 PM

Oh God Papa, I live in Queens and Mets fans bring it up *all the fucking time*.

This is a typical baseball conversation for me now days:
      Guy: You into baseball
      Me: Oh yeah, I love it.
      Guy: You a Mets fan or Yankees fan?
      Me: Oh, neither. I’m from Missouri, so I love the Cardinals
      Guy: (Shakes his head, like thinking back upon a great tragedy. The look dissolves into a look of helpess, muted anger)
      Guy: ….fucking Beltran (minute of silence. Baseball discussion is now over).

• papasadappa - Feb 28, 2012 at 1:56 PM

Lol. In my mind I see this dude looking like Homer in that episode where he catches Apu cheating on his wife and walks backwards with a horrified look all the way home. I am originally from Long Island and now live outside of Philly so usually people on the street say different things to me :)

2. plmathfoto - Feb 28, 2012 at 10:59 AM

You know what though, in last weeks’ USA Today Sports weekly, the article on the cardinals for this year (not written by a Mets writer by the way, written by Steve Gardner) had the following OPENING SENTENCE:
    “When the Cardinals report for spring training in Jupiter, Fla. a pair of players, who provided an iconic moment of franchise playoff history will take the field as the first time as teammates.

Goes on & on, even going on to describe what happened etc..

It’s not just the NY writers obviously (nor Mets fans(all 3 of us))

3. jwbiii - Feb 28, 2012 at 12:19 PM

Why, yes, one of New York’s finest is here

But Craig asked if there were any Mets writers there.

A's, Tigers big winners at trade deadline