Jamie Moyer “feels good” after throwing batting practice

Feb 28, 2012, 1:20 PM EDT

Jamie Moyer

Jamie Moyer threw batting practice to Rockies hitters yesterday and the 49-year-old who’s coming back from Tommy John elbow surgery felt just fine when he woke up this morning, telling Patrick Saunders of the Denver Post:

My arm feels good and my body feels good. I felt like I could have thrown another 30 or 40 pitches, so that was good. And I feel good today, and that was the big thing.

Moyer is competing for a spot in the Rockies’ rotation on a minor-league contract and he’s so old that Saunders’ opening sentence of “Jamie Moyer was pleasantly surprised when he woke up this morning” took on a whole different meaning in my brain as I read it.

1. Jon Weisman - Feb 28, 2012 at 1:30 PM

Great line, Aaron – I like to think that was intentional on Patrick’s part.

2. phukyouk - Feb 28, 2012 at 1:39 PM

He feels even better in spite of waking up 14 times during the night to take a piss

3. cur68 - Feb 28, 2012 at 1:43 PM

Look Moyer in that shot^^^…he looks like a kid still. When my knees finally give out on me, like termite ridden 2X4’s collapsing in a cloud of dust and fungus, Moyer will still be pitching. Now, some uncharitable souls might say that Moyer’s been pitching MLB BP for 15 years, but those people fail to appreciate how dependable a guy Moyer is. When he finally retires, who will carry the Mojo handed to him by Franco in the sacred ceremony of The Passing of the Mojo? Who? That person better still be looking like a kid at age 49, otherwise they are not worthy.

• rooney24 - Feb 28, 2012 at 3:54 PM

Conversely, I saw the picture and thought he was finally showing his age. But, regardless, I want to see him make the team and pitch this year and next. I was really hoping Julio Franco had made it to play at 50, and want to see someone make it. Of course, with the recent info on ages for some Latin players, are we really sure that Franco didn’t play at 50?

4. El Bravo - Feb 28, 2012 at 1:54 PM

Moyer is one scrappy motherf@cker, si?

• Utley's Hair - Feb 28, 2012 at 2:04 PM

Grandpa’s got cajones.

5. Jonny 5 - Feb 28, 2012 at 2:31 PM

If Jamie Moyer acted his age, he’d be playing shuffleboard.

6. Jonny 5 - Feb 28, 2012 at 2:32 PM

Moyer is so old, he used to swim in the Grand Canyon, when it was a creek.

• Utley's Hair - Feb 28, 2012 at 2:47 PM

Jamie Moyer is so old he used to play with dirt when it was young.

7. rooney24 - Feb 28, 2012 at 3:56 PM

Jamie Moyer was one of the play testers for this new game that Abner Doubleday was calling “baseball”.

8. joeflaccosunibrow - Feb 28, 2012 at 4:44 PM

Little known fact: Jamie Moyer gave up #715 to Hank Aaron.

9. aceshigh11 - Feb 28, 2012 at 7:56 PM

To paraphrase Jeff Ross (originally speaking of Jerry Stiller):

“Jamie Moyer was born in the same year the Beatles burst onto the scene…

Not the band…the lifeform.”

10. ptfu - Feb 28, 2012 at 9:26 PM

When nine hundred years old you reach, look as good you will not, hmm?

11. icewalker946 - Feb 28, 2012 at 10:19 PM

He looks like the ‘old guy’ Eddie Harris from the movie Major League.

Red Sox shopping Lester and Lackey