Luke Scott brought seven-foot-long, pig-killing spears into Rays clubhouse

Feb 28, 2012, 12:16 PM EDT

Luke Scott deer

Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times had an interesting note about new Rays designated hitter Luke Scott, who in addition to being a good baseball player is well known for hunting large animals and saying controversial things about Barack Obama:

Scott brought the two 7½-foot spears that he has used to kill wild pigs to the clubhouse, showing them off to inquiring teammates (and reporters). “Guys were asking me about them,” he said. “Take a look, see what you think, come out (hunting) if you want.”

Topkin’s article also includes this quote from Scott:

You don’t have to worry about me unless you’re a criminal or a communist.

Scott and Rays manager Joe Maddon seem like a … well, let’s say “interesting” match. Of course, if he hits like he did prior to 2011 something tells me Scott and Maddon will get along beautifully no matter what.

1. dowhatifeellike - Feb 28, 2012 at 12:21 PM

Forget baseball, he should be hunting commies in Asia.

• Mohammed Chang - Feb 28, 2012 at 12:42 PM

That’s convenient, because if he hits .220/.301/.402 again he might be playing his baseball there.

2. El Bravo - Feb 28, 2012 at 12:26 PM

That communist comment speaks volumes about his intelligence and knowledge of current events (none). Alas, this has forced my hand… this douchenozzle is back on the list for this year. Sorry Luke, you didn’t even really instigate this, but I got a hair trigger on the douchenozzle gun today and you sir truly are a douchenozzle.

1. Randy Miller – South Jersey Courier-Post (abuses BBWAA privileges, HOF vote by submitting blank ballots; also invented superhero Saberboy, which is cool)

2. Luke Scott – perennial all-star douchenozzle. Luke says, “you don’t have to worry about me unless you’re a criminal or communist.”

• Mohammed Chang - Feb 28, 2012 at 12:37 PM

Watch out, seven and a half foot long pig spear carrying Luke Scott, you’re on El Bravo’s list.

• gosport474 - Feb 28, 2012 at 12:40 PM

That’s great, someone to stand up for criminals and commies, that speaks volumes for your intelligence

• Jonny 5 - Feb 28, 2012 at 12:44 PM

I think he wasn’t actually standing up for anyone there. He was just inducting Luke Scott onto the 2012 Douchenozzle list. Get with the program buddy!

• nategearhart - Feb 28, 2012 at 1:09 PM

He only referenced the communist part. So tell me…why exactly should communists have to be worried about Luke Scott?

• El Bravo - Feb 28, 2012 at 12:49 PM

Dude, I have brave in my name. You think I’m scurrred of a pig spear? I’ve speared full-sized beavers, friendo.

gosport474, the word you are looking for is “to” not “for”. Both times.

• fazzybadger - Feb 28, 2012 at 12:57 PM

Bravo, he is saying that you are standing up “for” commies and criminals, duh.

• cur68 - Feb 28, 2012 at 1:47 PM

You’ve speared full-sized beavers? I thought that was illegal in your state.

• El Bravo - Feb 28, 2012 at 4:16 PM

The only state I’m worried about is beaver-stabbing state of mind, my friend.

• avallstar - Feb 28, 2012 at 2:23 PM

El Bravo, I’m trying to think of the nicest way to say this. #1 “Douchenozzle” is neither cool or funny. Pretty good chance you haven’t gotten laid in a while, and if you have, she’s fat and ugly. #2 Your clear lack of knowledge of current events speaks volumes about your ignorance.

Signed,

The guy who lives in DC and knows a hell of a lot more about current events and politics than you do.

• sweepthleg - Feb 28, 2012 at 2:37 PM

So your proximity to DC equates to your level of political knowledge?

• cur68 - Feb 28, 2012 at 2:48 PM

Well thanks for telling us all what’s funny and what isn’t, Ava. I frankly find El Bravo’s douchenozzel list hilarious and look forward to the announcement very much. It marks the end of the season and gives me a yardstick by which I can say “yeah, I got some bad habits. Some things about myself I could improve. But hey, at least I’m not on the list of ‘nozzles.”

As to Bravo’s taste in women (or lack thereof: I really don’t care to speculate), this is as nothing compared to your lack of class not to mention your unforgivable lack of a sense of humor (which is possibly the worst thing I can think of to say to another person). How in hell do reach for that over something as innocuous as calling a dude as odious as Luke “Birther” Scott a d’nozzle? Seriously, what do you do when the racists, homophobes, and petty jerks get on here and make comments? Actually, since this is the first time I’ve seen your handle, I’m gonna go with “nothing”. It totally figures that you are silent until someone with a better sense of humor than you comes along and says something largely harmless.

• El Bravo - Feb 28, 2012 at 4:14 PM

Dude, stop calling your mom fat and ugly.

• aceshigh11 - Feb 28, 2012 at 8:16 PM

So…let me guess…

You think Obama is a Kenyan Commie usurper who used ACORN and the Black Panthers to steal the Presidency, not to mention our white women.

Using the word “communist” in 2012, as if the world is teeming with them, is RIDICULOUS. It’s a straw-man. It’s a red herring. It’s a Maguffin.

There is no “there” there. It’s a failed ideology that is barely hanging on to relevance in the world.

I don’t care how much you hate Obama, the man, or his policies. He’s not a communist. Democrats aren’t communists. Liberals aren’t communists. Michael Moore isn’t even a communist.

Learn to use political and historical terminology properly, or keep your mouth shut.

3. ravenscaps48 - Feb 28, 2012 at 12:27 PM

LUUUUUUUUUKKKKKEEEEEEEEEE

4. atworkident - Feb 28, 2012 at 12:29 PM

Luke Scott is the white Gilbert Arenas. Who brings weapons to the locker room?

5. Jonny 5 - Feb 28, 2012 at 12:40 PM

So he hunts Criminals and Communists? He’s really close to Cuba now so I guess he’ll be closer to his hunting grounds.. (Eyes roll, twice)

• cur68 - Feb 28, 2012 at 1:49 PM

Well, they’re pig spears, so maybe he hunts criminal commie pigs? Y’know, he read or had someone read Animal Farm to him and failed to take in that it was an allegorical story? He thought it was real, so he goes out hunting Snowball and his kin. Only thing that makes sense, really.

• Jonny 5 - Feb 28, 2012 at 2:46 PM

THAT was a great read.

• Utley's Hair - Feb 28, 2012 at 2:52 PM

Hunting snowballs? Mmmm…marshmallow encased cream-filled cake….

6. zsmyers1980 - Feb 28, 2012 at 12:50 PM

I’m confused… Referring to Scott as “a good baseball player” makes you think this guy is a competent, if not above average, fielder w/ decent speed and a guy that can hit for average and power…One out of four isn’t bad

Scott’s a below avg fielder at best, he lumbers around the bases and after fly balls, and has a week throwing arm. The orioles were starting Felix Pie over him in left field! FELIX PIE!! He’s a lifetime .264 hitter In ’07-09’ he averaged .256. Last year he was at .220!!!! In 2010 he had a great year @ .284! If a great year is .284 you can’t be a “good baseball player” I’m sorry…

He can hit a fastball down the middle a mile, I’ll give him that. If you give him a slider in or a slow pitch soft ball on the outside corner he’s flailing away

The only time his name is mentioned is when it involves his opinion on politics or the 2nd amendment.

• El Bravo - Feb 28, 2012 at 1:47 PM

mmmmmmmm pie

• cur68 - Feb 28, 2012 at 2:50 PM

CAKE! And don’t make me tell you again.

7. raindog - Feb 28, 2012 at 12:59 PM

Happy to see he’s still relishing his role (preceded by Milton Bradley), as MLB’s number one crazy person.

8. acdc363 - Feb 28, 2012 at 1:20 PM

El Bravo I solemnly salute you. Douchenozzle is my new favorite insult.

• El Bravo - Feb 28, 2012 at 1:51 PM

Yeah, it’s an important list I’ve compiled now for two years. One must track the d’nozzles as closely as Craig and his minion Kopy track BSOHL stories and updates.

9. bigharold - Feb 28, 2012 at 1:22 PM

What he setting himself up as the Ted Nuggent of baseball.

By the way the only commies left in the world are the ones starving in North Korea, .. the the ones in Cuba dying to get yo Miami and the ones in China that are taking our jobs.

• The Baseball Idiot - Feb 28, 2012 at 1:49 PM

The Communist Party is the second biggest part in Russia, and is big all over the world. You really need to read about more than baseball.

Try it in short pieces. It won’t hurt as much.

And most of the ariticles have pictures that take up a good portion of the page.

• The Rabbit - Feb 28, 2012 at 2:24 PM

I thought this wasn’t a civics lesson? I guess it only applies if someone references wife beaters.

• bigharold - Feb 28, 2012 at 4:30 PM

“nd most of the ariticles have pictures that take up a good portion of the page.”

I’ll take your word on that.

• The Baseball Idiot - Feb 28, 2012 at 7:17 PM

Rabbit, discussiing the Communist Party around the world would be a Social Studies lesson. Or Political Science, for the Honors students.

Let’s try to stay with the rest of the class.

• aceshigh11 - Feb 28, 2012 at 8:19 PM

Big all over the world? Like where?

Let me guess:

France? Sweden? Denmark?

Wrong answer, Slingblade.

Statist authoritarian communism is a dead ideology. Luke Scott is a reactionary, redneck idiot who pines for the days of 1955 and Joe McCarthy.

Apparently, so do you.

• Utley's Hair - Feb 28, 2012 at 11:23 PM

Hey, Idiot, you do know that social studies is basically the renamed subject of civics, right?

• cur68 - Feb 28, 2012 at 3:08 PM

Never mind TBI, Harold. He likes to tell people what and how to think. Personally, I find the hippy-commies in Canada much more reprehensible. They spend their time advocating the sharing other people’s wealth, decrying globalism while creating a massive mess, a huge taxpayer expense to police their unruly asses, and then using their iPhones to record their property destruction. So long as they don’t have to give up anything, they good with taking it from others. Buncha ding dongs.

10. CJ - Feb 28, 2012 at 1:25 PM

Next thing you know, I’m guessing Red Sox will be banning 7 foot long spears from their locker room too.

11. coats2m - Feb 28, 2012 at 1:57 PM

Just another Affliction tee-shirt wearing douche bag……

12. badmamainphilliesjamas - Feb 28, 2012 at 3:27 PM

I guess he’ll never be confused with a kosher butcher.

13. alldonesmith - Feb 28, 2012 at 4:12 PM

as Ozzie Guillen would say, “what a f*cking weirdo, man”

14. lostsok - Feb 28, 2012 at 8:01 PM

Obama would have had a zero percent chance to get reelected, but every time an extremist right-winger like Scott opens his faulty cakehole…Obama’s approval rating jumps as people remember how stupid and crazy right-wingers are….

15. ptfu - Feb 28, 2012 at 9:10 PM

Didn’t someone break into Longoria’s house a while back and steal his guns? Luke’s just showing what someone’s up against if they’re stupid enough to break into HIS house.

16. stex52 - Feb 29, 2012 at 9:58 AM

Maybe it’s just that East Coast air. I had no idea Scott was such a lunatic when he was in Houston.

Alex Gordon, MVP candidate