Feb 28, 2012, 4:26 PM EDT
UPDATE: It’s official, Solis will have Tommy John surgery next week.
Sammy Solis, a 2010 second-round pick Baseball America recently ranked as the Nationals’ sixth-best prospect, has been shut down after experiencing elbow pain during a throwing session and is likely headed for Tommy John surgery, according to Mark Zuckerman of CSNWashington.com.
Solis left Nationals camp yesterday and traveled to California for a meeting with Dr. Lewis Yocum, who’s second to only Dr. James Andrews when it comes to operating on pitchers.
Zuckerman reports that Solis first experienced elbow problems while pitching in the Arizona Fall League in November, but at the time different doctors gave differing opinions and ultimately the Nationals told the 23-year-old left-hander to simply rest the injury.
Stephen Strasburg and Jordan Zimmermann both came back very strong from Tommy John surgery, so the Nationals can still have high hopes for Solis joining them in the rotation one day, but he’d miss the entire 2012 season and perhaps be limited at the beginning of 2013 as well.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 17
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 15
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 34
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 59
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 72
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 34
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 109
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (109)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (88)