Feb 28, 2012, 4:26 PM EDT
UPDATE: It’s official, Solis will have Tommy John surgery next week.
Sammy Solis, a 2010 second-round pick Baseball America recently ranked as the Nationals’ sixth-best prospect, has been shut down after experiencing elbow pain during a throwing session and is likely headed for Tommy John surgery, according to Mark Zuckerman of CSNWashington.com.
Solis left Nationals camp yesterday and traveled to California for a meeting with Dr. Lewis Yocum, who’s second to only Dr. James Andrews when it comes to operating on pitchers.
Zuckerman reports that Solis first experienced elbow problems while pitching in the Arizona Fall League in November, but at the time different doctors gave differing opinions and ultimately the Nationals told the 23-year-old left-hander to simply rest the injury.
Stephen Strasburg and Jordan Zimmermann both came back very strong from Tommy John surgery, so the Nationals can still have high hopes for Solis joining them in the rotation one day, but he’d miss the entire 2012 season and perhaps be limited at the beginning of 2013 as well.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 1
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 134
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 19
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 48
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 49
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 356
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (356)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (198)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (163)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)