Nice scouting there, 1997 version of Dan Duquette

Feb 28, 2012, 8:20 AM EDT

varitek

In the wake of Jason Varitek’s retirement announcement announcement (well, that’s what it was), Alex Speier of WEEI has a nice look back at the trade that sent Varitek from Seattle to Boston and set the Red Sox on course for their 2004 and 2007 World Series championships.

This is my favorite part, from Derek Lowe, who was part of that deal:

“I laugh about it now,” Lowe said in Fort Myers earlier this month. “When [former Sox GM Dan Duquette] got us, he thought I was left-handed and he saw Varitek and said, ‘Wow, you’re a lot skinnier than I thought.’

That’s hilarious.  To everyone except Orioles fans, who are entrusting that guy to bring in young talent to the organization. Hopefully young talent that is what their GM expects it be when he acquires it.

1. joeflaccosunibrow - Feb 28, 2012 at 8:25 AM

Well we sent Jeremy Guthrie to the Rockies for a bag of balls and a box of bats. What goes around comes around.

• randomdigits - Feb 28, 2012 at 8:32 AM

They gave up one year of Guthrie for multiple years of a guy that might just perform just as well.

I would have preferred a younger package but I don’t think Guts had the trade value that you seem to think he did.

Honestly AM should have pulled the trigger on him at the deadline last season.

• thetruth1313 - Feb 28, 2012 at 9:10 AM

“I would have preferred a younger package but …”

That’s what she said!

2. Panda Claus - Feb 28, 2012 at 8:31 AM

Doesn’t matter about the quote by Duquette, he obviously trusted his scouts enough to not sweat the details. In the GM position, it’s often better to be surrounded by good people than to be all that good yourself. Good luck isn’t always just an accident.

• gerryb323 - Feb 28, 2012 at 8:53 AM

Just if you’re Billy Beane!

3. skeleteeth - Feb 28, 2012 at 8:59 AM

In the end, Duquette did good for the Sox signing Ramirez, letting Clemens walk, and trading for Pedro.

• bobwsc - Feb 28, 2012 at 9:57 AM

and signing Damon, drafting Youkilis and Nomar. seriously Craig?

• Ari Collins - Feb 28, 2012 at 10:11 AM

The Pedro deal was great, but the Manny deal was questionable given how muc his defense brings down his value (not going to try to quantify his off-the-field stuff), and how can you call letting Clemens walk a good idea? He was worth over six wins a year over the life of the six-year contract he signed after leaving Boston.

Duquette’s made his share of good moves (trading for Pedro, Lowe, and Varitek among them), but letting Clemens walk was one of his worst moves.

• fellspointbird - Feb 28, 2012 at 12:12 PM

It was widely and publicly speculated that Clemens began to use steroids after going to Toronto. Duquette theoretically could have seen the end nearing for Clemens, unaware that he would begin to chemically augment his performance in the near future.

Hypothetical, of course.

• skeleteeth - Feb 28, 2012 at 12:29 PM

I see Manny as lesser of two evils. Clemens began to show his true colors in his last few years with Sox and turned out to be a total douchebag. Manny went down a similar path but I don’t think as many people have such a visceral reaction recalling Manny as they do Clemens maybe due to Clemens pitching for the Yankees. Manny was also part of 2 World Series victories. I think his benefit to the team outweighs that which Clemens did.

I don’t know, maybe it’s a cake and eat it too thing, but I’ll take Manny over Clemens.

4. homelanddefense - Feb 28, 2012 at 9:48 AM

The Derek Lowe and JAson Varitek deal for Slocumb set up the Red Sox for their first WS run. I have a hard time poking fun of DD for it, even if he thought Lowe was a lefty.

5. mrjavascript - Feb 28, 2012 at 10:12 AM

I’ll agree with David Pinto, Duquette has a dry sense of humor, something Derek Lowe didn’t get at the time:

6. bradwins - Feb 28, 2012 at 10:28 AM

This was one of the biggest heists in baseball history. I have a hard time criticizing Duquette about it.

7. JBerardi - Feb 28, 2012 at 10:38 AM

Baseball management has changed a lot in 15 years. It’s hard to imagine anyone giving up those kind of prospects for a reliever these days.

• JBerardi - Feb 28, 2012 at 10:40 AM

Or to quickly edit myself: hard to imagine anyone but the Twins making that kind of deal for a reliever.

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. Y. Molina (3236)