Feb 28, 2012, 5:17 PM EDT
Yesterday the Royals signed 21-year-old catcher Salvador Perez to a long-term deal before he’s even played one full season in the big leagues, but apparently they aren’t close to locking up Alex Gordon to a contract extension.
Several months ago Gordon and the Royals were said to be talking about a multi-year deal, but they eventually avoided arbitration with a one-year, $4.775 million contract and Gordon told Bob Dutton of the Kansas City Star that “there’s nothing new that I know of” regarding negotiations starting back up again.
Gordon is under team control in 2013 via arbitration, so there’s no huge rush from the Royals’ point of view, although if he turns in another strong season following a breakout 2011 campaign his price tag could rise significantly with free agency around the corner.
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 61
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 56
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 51
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 19
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11