Feb 28, 2012, 5:17 PM EDT
Yesterday the Royals signed 21-year-old catcher Salvador Perez to a long-term deal before he’s even played one full season in the big leagues, but apparently they aren’t close to locking up Alex Gordon to a contract extension.
Several months ago Gordon and the Royals were said to be talking about a multi-year deal, but they eventually avoided arbitration with a one-year, $4.775 million contract and Gordon told Bob Dutton of the Kansas City Star that “there’s nothing new that I know of” regarding negotiations starting back up again.
Gordon is under team control in 2013 via arbitration, so there’s no huge rush from the Royals’ point of view, although if he turns in another strong season following a breakout 2011 campaign his price tag could rise significantly with free agency around the corner.
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 8
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 55
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 53
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 17
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)