Feb 28, 2012, 5:17 PM EDT
Yesterday the Royals signed 21-year-old catcher Salvador Perez to a long-term deal before he’s even played one full season in the big leagues, but apparently they aren’t close to locking up Alex Gordon to a contract extension.
Several months ago Gordon and the Royals were said to be talking about a multi-year deal, but they eventually avoided arbitration with a one-year, $4.775 million contract and Gordon told Bob Dutton of the Kansas City Star that “there’s nothing new that I know of” regarding negotiations starting back up again.
Gordon is under team control in 2013 via arbitration, so there’s no huge rush from the Royals’ point of view, although if he turns in another strong season following a breakout 2011 campaign his price tag could rise significantly with free agency around the corner.
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 0
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 8
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 30
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 14
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 21
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 12
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 21
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)