Feb 28, 2012, 5:17 PM EDT
Yesterday the Royals signed 21-year-old catcher Salvador Perez to a long-term deal before he’s even played one full season in the big leagues, but apparently they aren’t close to locking up Alex Gordon to a contract extension.
Several months ago Gordon and the Royals were said to be talking about a multi-year deal, but they eventually avoided arbitration with a one-year, $4.775 million contract and Gordon told Bob Dutton of the Kansas City Star that “there’s nothing new that I know of” regarding negotiations starting back up again.
Gordon is under team control in 2013 via arbitration, so there’s no huge rush from the Royals’ point of view, although if he turns in another strong season following a breakout 2011 campaign his price tag could rise significantly with free agency around the corner.
- Bryce Harper pulled from Saturday’s game for not hustling 71
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 18
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 22
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 11
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)