Feb 28, 2012, 5:17 PM EDT
Yesterday the Royals signed 21-year-old catcher Salvador Perez to a long-term deal before he’s even played one full season in the big leagues, but apparently they aren’t close to locking up Alex Gordon to a contract extension.
Several months ago Gordon and the Royals were said to be talking about a multi-year deal, but they eventually avoided arbitration with a one-year, $4.775 million contract and Gordon told Bob Dutton of the Kansas City Star that “there’s nothing new that I know of” regarding negotiations starting back up again.
Gordon is under team control in 2013 via arbitration, so there’s no huge rush from the Royals’ point of view, although if he turns in another strong season following a breakout 2011 campaign his price tag could rise significantly with free agency around the corner.
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 0
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 14
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 24
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 64
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 34
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (202)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)