Ozzie Guillen has one rule: Don’t be late for the [bleeping] National Anthem

Feb 28, 2012, 11:19 AM EST

Ozzie Guillen Getty Getty Images

Ozzie Guillen had a nice rant yesterday, explaining that one of his few rules as a manager is making sure all players are on time and in the dugout when the National Anthem is performed before each game.

And because Ozzie is Ozzie, the explanation for why that’s so important to him was both insightful and full of profanity. Here’s an excerpt, via Joe Capozzi of the Palm Beach Post:

One thing that really pisses me off, if you’re not there for the National Anthem. That’s the only rule I have. If you can’t go by that easy one, then we’ve got problems. … You’re late for the [expletive] National Anthem? The National Anthem is [expletive] 10 minutes before the game starts. We’re going to start in 10 minutes and you’re late?

“I was in the [bathroom].” You got an hour and a half between batting practice and the National Anthem to [use the bathroom]. Too bad. Respect your teammates. Respect the flag. A lot of people have been killed to make this country free for us. You should be there for at least two minutes. Respect that, especially if you come from another [expletive] country, you should be there an hour before.

Guillen was born in Venezuela, came to the United States in 1980 when he signed with the Padres, and became a citizen in 2006. It’s pretty interesting to hear just how much the National Anthem means to him, because my guess is that many American-born players, managers, and fans probably take it for granted as merely something that occurs before they can start playing each night.

1. phukyouk - Feb 28, 2012 at 11:32 AM

I suddenly respect him a little more, that is to say, i now have respect for Ozzie.

• ptfu - Feb 28, 2012 at 8:59 PM

Even the loose cannon occasionally points in the right direction. Fire away, Ozzie.

2. 1972wasalongtimeago - Feb 28, 2012 at 11:32 AM

I [expletive] love [expletive] Ozzie [expletive] Guillen!

3. jason1214 - Feb 28, 2012 at 11:35 AM

Wow something I actually agree with Ozzie on. Scary.

4. frankenderek - Feb 28, 2012 at 11:35 AM

[explitive]-ing right Ozzie!

5. motherscratcher23 - Feb 28, 2012 at 11:37 AM

I got this one rule…

I never go out with girls who say bitchin’.

6. El Bravo - Feb 28, 2012 at 11:39 AM

Ozzie is a true American. Loud, obnoxious, foul-mouthed, and can’t speak english.

7. deathmonkey41 - Feb 28, 2012 at 11:41 AM

Chicago media is going to miss this guy- just saying.

8. deathmonkey41 - Feb 28, 2012 at 11:41 AM

Ozzie wasn’t completely honest though- he has a second rule too- never lose to Bruce Chen twice in the same year.

• robmoore - Feb 28, 2012 at 1:42 PM

He has a third rule: Never get involved in a land war in Asia.

9. vivabear - Feb 28, 2012 at 11:54 AM

Gator?? My guess is as soon as you read this post, you’re going to come up with some rant that explains how dumb Ozzie is for respecting the national anthem.

• El Bravo - Feb 28, 2012 at 12:19 PM

there will be slobbering and knuckledragging…

10. kandh2004 - Feb 28, 2012 at 12:15 PM

I don’t like him but I do have to respect that rule

11. ravenscaps48 - Feb 28, 2012 at 12:29 PM

GREAT RULE, OZ!

12. raidernation831 - Feb 28, 2012 at 12:33 PM

Awesome!!!!! I love this country! From an American with Mexican ancestry, I am proud to be an American! Respect for the flag and the people who have died for US, you and I, is lacking. Thank you American Soldier!!!!!!

13. Jonny 5 - Feb 28, 2012 at 12:36 PM

Well, my Daddy did always tell me that people appreciate things much more when they actually have to work for them. One more thing Dad was right about.

14. spytdi - Feb 28, 2012 at 1:44 PM

I wish everyone took that approach.

15. randygnyc - Feb 28, 2012 at 2:09 PM

The best part was that if you’re from a different country, you shouldn’t just be early, but should be there an hour early, waiting for the anthem. Good stuff.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (4514)
  2. M. Kemp (3625)
  3. M. Cabrera (2866)
  4. M. Morse (2549)
  5. J. Kang (2475)
  1. J. Upton (2437)
  2. A. Rios (2166)
  3. C. Headley (2149)
  4. W. Middlebrooks (1994)
  5. J. Peavy (1834)