Feb 28, 2012, 11:19 AM EST
Ozzie Guillen had a nice rant yesterday, explaining that one of his few rules as a manager is making sure all players are on time and in the dugout when the National Anthem is performed before each game.
And because Ozzie is Ozzie, the explanation for why that’s so important to him was both insightful and full of profanity. Here’s an excerpt, via Joe Capozzi of the Palm Beach Post:
One thing that really pisses me off, if you’re not there for the National Anthem. That’s the only rule I have. If you can’t go by that easy one, then we’ve got problems. … You’re late for the [expletive] National Anthem? The National Anthem is [expletive] 10 minutes before the game starts. We’re going to start in 10 minutes and you’re late?
“I was in the [bathroom].” You got an hour and a half between batting practice and the National Anthem to [use the bathroom]. Too bad. Respect your teammates. Respect the flag. A lot of people have been killed to make this country free for us. You should be there for at least two minutes. Respect that, especially if you come from another [expletive] country, you should be there an hour before.
Guillen was born in Venezuela, came to the United States in 1980 when he signed with the Padres, and became a citizen in 2006. It’s pretty interesting to hear just how much the National Anthem means to him, because my guess is that many American-born players, managers, and fans probably take it for granted as merely something that occurs before they can start playing each night.
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 30
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 28
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 163
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 10
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (163)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)