Feb 28, 2012, 11:19 AM EDT
Ozzie Guillen had a nice rant yesterday, explaining that one of his few rules as a manager is making sure all players are on time and in the dugout when the National Anthem is performed before each game.
And because Ozzie is Ozzie, the explanation for why that’s so important to him was both insightful and full of profanity. Here’s an excerpt, via Joe Capozzi of the Palm Beach Post:
One thing that really pisses me off, if you’re not there for the National Anthem. That’s the only rule I have. If you can’t go by that easy one, then we’ve got problems. … You’re late for the [expletive] National Anthem? The National Anthem is [expletive] 10 minutes before the game starts. We’re going to start in 10 minutes and you’re late?
“I was in the [bathroom].” You got an hour and a half between batting practice and the National Anthem to [use the bathroom]. Too bad. Respect your teammates. Respect the flag. A lot of people have been killed to make this country free for us. You should be there for at least two minutes. Respect that, especially if you come from another [expletive] country, you should be there an hour before.
Guillen was born in Venezuela, came to the United States in 1980 when he signed with the Padres, and became a citizen in 2006. It’s pretty interesting to hear just how much the National Anthem means to him, because my guess is that many American-born players, managers, and fans probably take it for granted as merely something that occurs before they can start playing each night.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 0
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 5
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 21
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 61
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 95
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (131)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)