Feb 28, 2012, 11:19 AM EDT
Ozzie Guillen had a nice rant yesterday, explaining that one of his few rules as a manager is making sure all players are on time and in the dugout when the National Anthem is performed before each game.
And because Ozzie is Ozzie, the explanation for why that’s so important to him was both insightful and full of profanity. Here’s an excerpt, via Joe Capozzi of the Palm Beach Post:
One thing that really pisses me off, if you’re not there for the National Anthem. That’s the only rule I have. If you can’t go by that easy one, then we’ve got problems. … You’re late for the [expletive] National Anthem? The National Anthem is [expletive] 10 minutes before the game starts. We’re going to start in 10 minutes and you’re late?
“I was in the [bathroom].” You got an hour and a half between batting practice and the National Anthem to [use the bathroom]. Too bad. Respect your teammates. Respect the flag. A lot of people have been killed to make this country free for us. You should be there for at least two minutes. Respect that, especially if you come from another [expletive] country, you should be there an hour before.
Guillen was born in Venezuela, came to the United States in 1980 when he signed with the Padres, and became a citizen in 2006. It’s pretty interesting to hear just how much the National Anthem means to him, because my guess is that many American-born players, managers, and fans probably take it for granted as merely something that occurs before they can start playing each night.
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 9
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 27
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 59
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 72
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 34
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 100
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (104)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (88)