Feb 28, 2012, 9:57 AM EDT
Remember how the Nationals launched an initiative to keep Phillies fans from taking over their ballpark during Nats-Phillies series? How they won’t sell tickets to people not from D.C., Virginia or Maryland?
I think that’s kind of pointless and silly because (a) it’s not like the secondary ticket market doesn’t exist; and (b) money is money and last I checked the Nats weren’t filling their park with locals anyway. If they want Phillies fans to be drowned out, win ballgames and sell more season tickets. But whatever, it’s their show, and if they want to say no to someone when they go to buy a ticket, it’s their choice.
But it’s another thing altogether, it seems to me, to renege on tickets they already agreed to sell to Philly people before the policy was put in place. And that appears to be what they have done.
Seems that in December a Philly company called Integrated Project Services, Inc. contacted the Nationals for a group outing, put in order and paid a deposit which guaranteed the tickets. They were supposed to get final confirmation of where their seats were and stuff in January. Then:
It was almost the end of January, and neither Kate or Chuck had heard a thing from the Nationals about their tickets. “we had tried to contact the Nationals because we thought by the end of January we were suppoesd to know,” McCorriston said. “So we called and emailed and called and called and emailed and called, this had been going on for two and a half weeks, and they finally just notified us and said ‘well sorry, we have to take back our park, you know, you can’t have the tickets, there aren’t any tickets left, and we’ll refund your deposit. That was it.”
Just an idiotic business decision to address a problem — too many Phillies fans in the park — that, while slightly embarrassing, is not exactly the sort of thing that a sophisticated business should really care about. And it’s the sort of thing that could lead to a lawsuit, so that’s great too.
Win some baseball games, Nationals. That’s how you take back your ballpark.
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 3
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 28
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 19
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 87
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 59
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 55
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (87)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)