Feb 28, 2012, 5:47 PM EDT
With A.J. Burnett gone, expectations were that it would come down to Freddy Garcia and Phil Hughes for one spot in the Yankee rotation. Manager Joe Girardi has other ideas, though, announcing Tuesday that CC Sabathia and Hiroki Kuroda were his only starters guaranteed spots. That leaves Michael Pineda and Ivan Nova competing for jobs.
“That’s kind of what we’re looking at,” Girardi said. “You sign Kuroda to start. You sign all these guys to start, but Kuroda has a big track history. There’s so much talk about Phil, but this guy was a dominant reliever in 2009 and a very good starter in 2010. Sometimes we focus on 2011 — and I understand why, because it was the most recent — but what if he’s an 18-game winner again? We’ve got a competition here. We have to iron out five spots, and sometimes the five you leave with aren’t the five you end up with. We’ve got time. There’s no rush.”
No, there’s no rush, but it’s hard to imagine the Yankees keeping Pineda or Nova out of their Opening Day rotation. The Bombers gave up Jesus Montero in the hopes that Pineda would be their long-term No. 2 starter, and all Nova did was go 16-4 last season.
Hughes, with the most bullpen experience of the group, looks like the top candidate to be left out initially.
- Carlos Gomez diagnosed with sprained wrist 3
- Michael Wacha to start Thursday for the Cardinals 4
- We’re not going to pretend that Bo Porter had no idea what he was getting into, are we? 51
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 50
- The Cardinals have moved ahead of the Brewers for first place in the National League Central 37
- No-hitter! Four Phillies pitchers combine to blank the Braves 61
- Bo Porter fired by the Astros 56
- Settling the Score: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 48
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (221)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar (76)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)