Feb 29, 2012, 3:45 PM EDT
UPDATE: Apparently the eye injury is more serious than initially believed, because Burnett is leaving Pirates camp and traveling to Pittsburgh to have it examined by doctors.
A.J. Burnett seems thrilled to be with Pittsburgh, but his Pirates career got off to a rough start today when he had to leave the field with a trainer after fouling a ball off his face during bunting practice.
Rob Biertempfel of the Pittsburgh Tribune Review snapped a photo of Burnett on the ground:
That probably wasn’t much fun, but Biertempfel writes that “Burnett did not appear to be bleeding as he left the field” and “an initial examination indicated the injury was not serious.”
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 2
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 16
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 21
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 9
- Pirates acquire Ike Davis in a trade with the Mets 46
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)