A.J. Burnett traveling to Pittsburgh to have eye examined

Feb 29, 2012, 3:45 PM EDT

UPDATE: Apparently the eye injury is more serious than initially believed, because Burnett is leaving Pirates camp and traveling to Pittsburgh to have it examined by doctors.

==========

A.J. Burnett seems thrilled to be with Pittsburgh, but his Pirates career got off to a rough start today when he had to leave the field with a trainer after fouling a ball off his face during bunting practice.

Rob Biertempfel of the Pittsburgh Tribune Review snapped a photo of Burnett on the ground:

source:

That probably wasn’t much fun, but Biertempfel writes that “Burnett did not appear to be bleeding as he left the field” and “an initial examination indicated the injury was not serious.”

1. Tribe&Browns&Cavs - Feb 29, 2012 at 12:21 PM

Just another hit off A.J. Burnett.

• proudlycanadian - Feb 29, 2012 at 5:32 PM

Leave AJ alone, he just needs to have his head examined.

2. diehardcubbiefan4life - Feb 29, 2012 at 12:24 PM

Welcome to the Pirates, AJ

• drunkenhooliganism - Feb 29, 2012 at 1:16 PM

And welcome to the AJ Burnett Experience, Pirates.

• aleskel - Feb 29, 2012 at 4:38 PM

nah, the AJ Burnett Experience doesn’t mean injuries (at least, it hasn’t for the past few years). Now, when he walks the bases loaded in the first inning of his first start of the year and uncorks two wild pitches, THEN it’s the AJ Burnett Experience

3. hasbeen5 - Feb 29, 2012 at 12:29 PM

I think this is what made that baby realize he was at the Pirates training camp, and was so disgusted he literally jumped from his mother’s womb to try to escape the suckage.

4. El Bravo - Feb 29, 2012 at 12:36 PM

BAM BAM!

5. yankeesfanlen - Feb 29, 2012 at 12:40 PM

…..And HE wants to be our latex salesman!

6. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Feb 29, 2012 at 12:48 PM

He’s used to black eyes. He can handle it.

7. arrooo - Feb 29, 2012 at 2:04 PM

Not your usual cream pie

8. patg1041 - Feb 29, 2012 at 2:57 PM

I’m just waiting for the pro DH people to use this an excuse for expanding it to both leagues. Because god knows you couldn’t reasonably expect a pitcher to bunt, strikeout, or slap a weak grounder and jog to 1st without hurting themselves.

• cur68 - Feb 29, 2012 at 3:34 PM

I’m pro DH, but I love the idea of pitchers hitting. Its a guaranteed out: I can go get beer, use the bathroom, canoodle, or watch a ball clobber a guy in the hooter or sac. The notion that half the teams play one way and half the other doesn’t bother me at all. I love the notion that baseball has different rules and requires more than being able to tell if someone’s standing up, running, or lying down under a heap of opposing team jerseys like your favorite shirt on laundry day. You need to know stuff that’s rather arcane and you get to anticipate the sight of a figurative Bambi on ice once every 9 hitters. Its a great show.

• CJ - Feb 29, 2012 at 3:55 PM

I actually expected the opposite. If a pitcher can’t put down a bunt as opposed to putting it off his face, that to me speaks more against the use of a DH than it does for it.

Everyone else plays both ways, why shouldn’t the pitcher?

9. phukyouk - Feb 29, 2012 at 3:55 PM

just to be sure, the yanks put a no refund policy on the trade, right?

• Utley's Hair - Feb 29, 2012 at 4:36 PM

They are hard at work trying to change the 30-day return policy to 3. Wite Out might work.

• cur68 - Feb 29, 2012 at 4:38 PM

‘White out”? You guys have such a policy? Man, I thought things had changed.

10. uyf1950 - Feb 29, 2012 at 3:55 PM

Hopefully it’s just something minor. But bad news does seem to follow AJ lately.

• stex52 - Feb 29, 2012 at 4:11 PM

I started to say “welcome to the NL and REAL baseball.” I will go ahead say it, but I hope this is no serious injury.

• surefooted1 - Feb 29, 2012 at 9:45 PM

Good thing you didn’t considering he’s spent most of his career in the NL…

11. jwbiii - Feb 29, 2012 at 3:56 PM

There’s a Liberace joke here.

• phillyphreak - Feb 29, 2012 at 4:20 PM

Rock and roll Frankenstein…..

12. andrew2260 - Feb 29, 2012 at 9:38 PM

screw the eye. I would slam my pitching hand in a car door if I got traded from the Yankees to the pirates. good luck a.j. you will not be missed

13. andrew2260 - Feb 29, 2012 at 11:10 PM

No I did not forget. I am glad he.us going back to the league of mediocrity, where it all began. whatever league he plus in he does.not respond.to pressure and he has lost his stuff, or at least with the hard hitting American league. So all I am happy about was the 3players we.could sigh just by.dumping him.

Orioles turn AL East on its head