Feb 29, 2012, 3:45 PM EST
UPDATE: Apparently the eye injury is more serious than initially believed, because Burnett is leaving Pirates camp and traveling to Pittsburgh to have it examined by doctors.
A.J. Burnett seems thrilled to be with Pittsburgh, but his Pirates career got off to a rough start today when he had to leave the field with a trainer after fouling a ball off his face during bunting practice.
Rob Biertempfel of the Pittsburgh Tribune Review snapped a photo of Burnett on the ground:
That probably wasn’t much fun, but Biertempfel writes that “Burnett did not appear to be bleeding as he left the field” and “an initial examination indicated the injury was not serious.”
- Media paying for athlete interviews? Not likely. But watch this stuff closely anyway. 0
- Rockies acquire Brett Anderson from A’s 12
- D’backs, Angels, White Sox agree to three-team Mark Trumbo deal 64
- Ranking MLB managers by . . . handsomeness 78
- Curtis Granderson: “A lot of people have told me real New Yorkers are Mets fans” 61
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi (110)