A Pittsburgh Pirates executive delivered a baby at the friggin’ ballpark last night

Feb 29, 2012, 11:31 AM EDT

McKechnie Field

Well, this is certainly way better than the last news we heard about a Pittsburgh Pirates exec.  Ladies and gentlemen, I give you Trevor Gooby, the director of Florida operations for the Pittsburgh Pirates and Bradenton Marauders and as of last night, an emergency obstetrician.

Gooby was at McKechnie Field for a “soft opening” event involving fans and stuff, when a pregnant woman named Latisha Kirk walked by in obvious distress.  Gooby had someone call 911 and waited with Kirk, but then:

They had reached the front gate and Kirk looked at Gooby. “The baby is definitely coming.”

He sent a couple of staff members to get towels and gloves just in case.

“And then I looked,” Gooby said. “I could see the baby’s head … She pushed one time and the baby was out,” Gooby said. “We wrapped the baby up in towels. He was crying and EMS arrived a couple of minutes later and cut the umbilical cord.”

Everyone’s fine.  If there is any justice in the world, the baby’s name will be “Manny Sanguillen Kirk” or “Kent Tekulve Kirk” or something similarly appropriate.

1. lapsncaps - Feb 29, 2012 at 11:36 AM

Craig,

There is really only one acceptable name…

James Tiberius Kirk

• phukyouk - Feb 29, 2012 at 1:43 PM

why? why would someone thumbs down this? even if you absolutely HATE star trek, WHY? it was brilliant and he got to it first. some people in this world were never loved as children

• lapsncaps - Feb 29, 2012 at 2:31 PM

I think he was just upset that this was in fact was the case. My first reaction was who in their right mind would thumbs down it, but then I realized, they were probably upset that I got to it first. At least that is how I looked at it. And thank you for coming to the defense against that lone thumbs down.

2. Utley's Hair - Feb 29, 2012 at 11:41 AM

What kind of gloves did they bring back? I would assume outfielder’s due to the size, but a catcher’s mitt does have the extra padding.

• phukyouk - Feb 29, 2012 at 11:52 AM

is it bad that i thought the exact same thing?

• Utley's Hair - Feb 29, 2012 at 11:55 AM

I think it means that the Rapture has begun.

• phukyouk - Feb 29, 2012 at 12:00 PM

what if im jewish and dont believe in the rapture ?

• Utley's Hair - Feb 29, 2012 at 12:08 PM

Sorry. I’m Catholic, so your ancestors are the root of all of our problems, as well as our salvation. Nothing personal, of course.

• cur68 - Feb 29, 2012 at 1:02 PM

I also pictured the catcher’s mitt since that’s exactly what we’d say as we went in for a delivery: “Who’s catching”. Everyone would automatically look at the shortest person in the group. Anyhow, well done Mr. Gooby and I agree with lapsnscaps in the first post: “James T. Kirk”, all the way.

• Chipmaker - Feb 29, 2012 at 1:17 PM

Yeah, gotta go with the catcher’s mitt for the thematically correct cartoon visual.

At least the Pirates started off the year with a huge win, a rookie, and a fan for life.

• phukyouk - Feb 29, 2012 at 2:43 PM

none taken… plus i think your big guy exonerated my ppl last year.

3. racksie - Feb 29, 2012 at 11:55 AM

Or, Goober?

4. Lukehart80 - Feb 29, 2012 at 12:42 PM

From the looks of that headline, I bet Craig wishes HBT had an edit function.

5. nategearhart - Feb 29, 2012 at 12:52 PM

I’m partial to Andy Van Slyke Kirk, myself.

6. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Feb 29, 2012 at 1:58 PM

Doug Drabek Kirk is my vote.

7. yankeesgameday - Feb 29, 2012 at 2:00 PM

The phrase “and then I looked” really should count as understatement of the year. He wasn’t just checking out an over heated car or something…

• racksie - Feb 29, 2012 at 2:14 PM

I just tried to block that whole statement/visual out of my mind. Jus think if Kasey Kahne was there.

8. vincentbojackson - Feb 29, 2012 at 4:43 PM

That’s dedication.

Baby due anytime, but can’t miss that spring training “soft opening”.

9. Jeremy Fox - Feb 29, 2012 at 4:53 PM

Gotta be Willie Stargell Kirk. Because “We Are Family” seems an appropriate song for the new addition to the Kirk family.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5263)