Feb 29, 2012, 11:31 AM EDT
Well, this is certainly way better than the last news we heard about a Pittsburgh Pirates exec. Ladies and gentlemen, I give you Trevor Gooby, the director of Florida operations for the Pittsburgh Pirates and Bradenton Marauders and as of last night, an emergency obstetrician.
Gooby was at McKechnie Field for a “soft opening” event involving fans and stuff, when a pregnant woman named Latisha Kirk walked by in obvious distress. Gooby had someone call 911 and waited with Kirk, but then:
They had reached the front gate and Kirk looked at Gooby. “The baby is definitely coming.”
He sent a couple of staff members to get towels and gloves just in case.
“And then I looked,” Gooby said. “I could see the baby’s head … She pushed one time and the baby was out,” Gooby said. “We wrapped the baby up in towels. He was crying and EMS arrived a couple of minutes later and cut the umbilical cord.”
Everyone’s fine. If there is any justice in the world, the baby’s name will be “Manny Sanguillen Kirk” or “Kent Tekulve Kirk” or something similarly appropriate.
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (93)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (89)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (86)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (82)