Feb 29, 2012, 11:31 AM EDT
Well, this is certainly way better than the last news we heard about a Pittsburgh Pirates exec. Ladies and gentlemen, I give you Trevor Gooby, the director of Florida operations for the Pittsburgh Pirates and Bradenton Marauders and as of last night, an emergency obstetrician.
Gooby was at McKechnie Field for a “soft opening” event involving fans and stuff, when a pregnant woman named Latisha Kirk walked by in obvious distress. Gooby had someone call 911 and waited with Kirk, but then:
They had reached the front gate and Kirk looked at Gooby. “The baby is definitely coming.”
He sent a couple of staff members to get towels and gloves just in case.
“And then I looked,” Gooby said. “I could see the baby’s head … She pushed one time and the baby was out,” Gooby said. “We wrapped the baby up in towels. He was crying and EMS arrived a couple of minutes later and cut the umbilical cord.”
Everyone’s fine. If there is any justice in the world, the baby’s name will be “Manny Sanguillen Kirk” or “Kent Tekulve Kirk” or something similarly appropriate.
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 24
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 41
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 15
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 24
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 35
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)