Feb 29, 2012, 11:31 AM EDT
Well, this is certainly way better than the last news we heard about a Pittsburgh Pirates exec. Ladies and gentlemen, I give you Trevor Gooby, the director of Florida operations for the Pittsburgh Pirates and Bradenton Marauders and as of last night, an emergency obstetrician.
Gooby was at McKechnie Field for a “soft opening” event involving fans and stuff, when a pregnant woman named Latisha Kirk walked by in obvious distress. Gooby had someone call 911 and waited with Kirk, but then:
They had reached the front gate and Kirk looked at Gooby. “The baby is definitely coming.”
He sent a couple of staff members to get towels and gloves just in case.
“And then I looked,” Gooby said. “I could see the baby’s head … She pushed one time and the baby was out,” Gooby said. “We wrapped the baby up in towels. He was crying and EMS arrived a couple of minutes later and cut the umbilical cord.”
Everyone’s fine. If there is any justice in the world, the baby’s name will be “Manny Sanguillen Kirk” or “Kent Tekulve Kirk” or something similarly appropriate.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 18
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 26
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 24
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 39
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 54
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)