Feb 29, 2012, 11:31 AM EDT
Well, this is certainly way better than the last news we heard about a Pittsburgh Pirates exec. Ladies and gentlemen, I give you Trevor Gooby, the director of Florida operations for the Pittsburgh Pirates and Bradenton Marauders and as of last night, an emergency obstetrician.
Gooby was at McKechnie Field for a “soft opening” event involving fans and stuff, when a pregnant woman named Latisha Kirk walked by in obvious distress. Gooby had someone call 911 and waited with Kirk, but then:
They had reached the front gate and Kirk looked at Gooby. “The baby is definitely coming.”
He sent a couple of staff members to get towels and gloves just in case.
“And then I looked,” Gooby said. “I could see the baby’s head … She pushed one time and the baby was out,” Gooby said. “We wrapped the baby up in towels. He was crying and EMS arrived a couple of minutes later and cut the umbilical cord.”
Everyone’s fine. If there is any justice in the world, the baby’s name will be “Manny Sanguillen Kirk” or “Kent Tekulve Kirk” or something similarly appropriate.
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 20
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 31
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 31
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (124)