Feb 29, 2012, 11:31 AM EST
Well, this is certainly way better than the last news we heard about a Pittsburgh Pirates exec. Ladies and gentlemen, I give you Trevor Gooby, the director of Florida operations for the Pittsburgh Pirates and Bradenton Marauders and as of last night, an emergency obstetrician.
Gooby was at McKechnie Field for a “soft opening” event involving fans and stuff, when a pregnant woman named Latisha Kirk walked by in obvious distress. Gooby had someone call 911 and waited with Kirk, but then:
They had reached the front gate and Kirk looked at Gooby. “The baby is definitely coming.”
He sent a couple of staff members to get towels and gloves just in case.
“And then I looked,” Gooby said. “I could see the baby’s head … She pushed one time and the baby was out,” Gooby said. “We wrapped the baby up in towels. He was crying and EMS arrived a couple of minutes later and cut the umbilical cord.”
Everyone’s fine. If there is any justice in the world, the baby’s name will be “Manny Sanguillen Kirk” or “Kent Tekulve Kirk” or something similarly appropriate.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 23
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 18
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 4
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 2
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 359
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (359)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- John Baker, Jeremy Brown, coal mines and class (80)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (74)